SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66827 - 03/25/08 02:56 PM More on Live Play / etc.
santa1 Offline

Loc: stuart, fl usa
I hear lots of people talking about MIDI disks to play on their keyboards. Well fellow Technics Owners, we have at our fingertips, instruments that will outperform nearly all the MIDI music I have heard. I am speaking of Sequencing. If you are muscian enough, you can create incredible arrangements, intros, endings,fill ins, etc., either from scratch or by re-arranging those on the keyboard. By using the composer section, panel memories and the sequencer,you are like a painter with a palet full of colors (backgrounds, rhythms, sounds, effects and so much more from which to create your own music. When stored on disk or SD card or MP3, you have your own personal ideas and music to work with in any what you need or want. I play professionally and sequence nearly all my songs. I carry two keyboard, which allow me to play along to a sequenced background from the other keyboard (both Technics). I also play trumpet and flugelhorn, banjo and sing. I also use a Digitech vocalizer. I spend hours on arrangements. My audiance is basically a dancing crowd and so I need variety. I suppose I am called a Electic-Accustic performance artist. At least I know that what people hear, is entirerly me and my creation. It is my experience that most people in a crowd don't much care about how music is produced anymore. Live music is an endangered species. Since my first Technics (KN800) to the KN1000 and KN2000 is use in performance to the KN7000 I will eventually willtake to gigs, I am committed to Technics and have kept working for years without having to depend on MIDI files which always soud plastic to me. I have not attended the Florida Jam, because it appears that most, if not all attending look down on any performance that is not "live". Viva Technics!!

#66828 - 03/25/08 08:59 PM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:
Originally posted by santa1:
I hear lots of people talking about MIDI disks to play on their keyboards. Well fellow Technics Owners, we have at our fingertips, instruments that will outperform nearly all the MIDI music I have heard. I am speaking of Sequencing. If you are muscian enough, you can create incredible arrangements, intros, endings,fill ins, etc., either from scratch or by re-arranging those on the keyboard. By using the composer section, panel memories and the sequencer,you are like a painter with a palet full of colors (backgrounds, rhythms, sounds, effects and so much more from which to create your own music. When stored on disk or SD card or MP3, you have your own personal ideas and music to work with in any what you need or want. I play professionally and sequence nearly all my songs. I carry two keyboard, which allow me to play along to a sequenced background from the other keyboard (both Technics). I also play trumpet and flugelhorn, banjo and sing. I also use a Digitech vocalizer. I spend hours on arrangements. My audiance is basically a dancing crowd and so I need variety. I suppose I am called a Electic-Accustic performance artist. At least I know that what people hear, is entirerly me and my creation. It is my experience that most people in a crowd don't much care about how music is produced anymore. Live music is an endangered species. Since my first Technics (KN800) to the KN1000 and KN2000 is use in performance to the KN7000 I will eventually willtake to gigs, I am committed to Technics and have kept working for years without having to depend on MIDI files which always soud plastic to me. I have not attended the Florida Jam, because it appears that most, if not all attending look down on any performance that is not "live". Viva Technics!!

As a non-musician, (I am strictly an ear-player with no musical background and little knowledge of consequence), I have no idea how to go about "sequencing". You, Santa1, indicate that you have done a great deal of sequencing, resulting in many arrangements, intros, fill-ins, endings, etc. that can be used to play in innovative ways on the keyboards you use. I would like to encourage you, and others who have done such sequencing, to provide us "ignoramuses" with some of these new ways to set up the great Technics keyboards for various types of music. I have a good collection of floppies and SDs, ordered from Technics in the past or downloaded from sites on the web, and often use them to supplement the built-in patterns and rhythms of my KN 7000, but often even those could use some "tweaking" and/or rearranging, but I really do not know how to do that. I'm sure others like me--(non-professionals and musically deficient)--would like to have even more new sequenced arrangements. So, why don't you, and any others with the ability to "sequence," give some thought to sharing some of your ideas with the rest of us?

Just a thought as I read your post tonight, Santa1. Comments and suggestions always welcome from all my SynthZone friends and colleagues.

Ted Rose

#66829 - 03/26/08 12:00 AM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I am a player who thoroughly enjoys playing live! To say we can play every song with our beloved KN7000 keyboard needs clarification.
Playing Midi files:

Years back a song became popular mostly because of the melody. Many different artists recorded the same song – like the song Misty. Today things have changed – in most cases If you play only the melody of a contemporary song, with none of the fills and type of background that made them sell you have nothing.

So --- This means if you are playing one of these songs you must know the chord progressions, the melody, the instruments they used and all the fills. No we can not do that live, NO WAY – There are too many different parts going on and they are special to each individual song. I might do that with 7 or 8 songs but to go beyond that is a no no for me.

I fully agree that we can play the older songs live – In the mood, String of Pearls, I can’t get started – ECT, and do very well. In fact, sometimes better than the original.

Midi files have their place, the musician today needs them to full the needs of their audience. People who do not play can enjoy the music. They help when you are trying to learn a song. They are certainly great for a sing-a-long with the words showing on screen. They are not a replacement for the musical gifts we were given.

Midi files –my vote – download one and learn to convert it to a Technics STYLE file then you will have a song that is in part you.

Sure we can posts “How to do it Midi files/Sequencing”, but where is the joy of working and discovery??? Ask when you have a problem but not the entire procedure.

John C.

#66830 - 03/26/08 12:25 AM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
bruno123 Offline

Ted Rose,
A start:
1-You need a lead sheet – Music notation and the chords, single line of melody is fine.

2-Decidie on the intro you are going to use. Then count the measures the intro takes.

3-On your music number each measure – 1 - 2- 3- 4, but make allowance for the intro. If the intro is four measures begin numbering the sheet music with a number 5 at the first measure.

4-Off the top of my head – no keyboard or manual.
Enter step mode in the Sequencer, select chords.

5-Press on hold your beginning chord, normally the same name as the song. (Left hand) “C” for C major –Eb for Eb major. Then press your intro.

6-Your chord view in the window will jump to the fifth measure allowing the room for the intro. Hold the chord that you have in the fifth measure of the sheet music – to the right just above the keys you will see values – Whole note, Half note Ect. Press the value that you want, the window view will move to the next measure if you have chosen a whole note. If the sheet music has two chords in the measure press (Right side) half note, then enter the second chord to complete the measure.

7-Complete entering the chord progression from the sheet music and the press the ending you decided on. Finished.

8-Go directly to save, you don’t want to lose what you have done.

Press start and the sequence will play with no melody, you supply that. Here is one way to sequence a song, much can be added, it is a start.

John C.

#66831 - 03/26/08 04:13 AM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Ted,

There is a Sequencer tutorial written by Jim Helwig, on my website. It refers to the Easy Record method and can be downloaded here : http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page10.html

Tip Number 22

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#66832 - 03/26/08 04:51 AM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi all
Peter Davey phoned last night to say that he is safely back in the UK after his attendance at the keyboard convention...how did that go John?
Rog
p.s. Thanks for looking after him and keeping him safe from the floridan wolves!!!

#66833 - 03/26/08 07:00 AM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
bruno123 Offline

To all who frequent this Technics Forum.
The purpose for my posting is to:

1-Help people who have asked.

2-To PROMOTE dialogue giving us all a chance to precipitate in one form or another.

3-To feed the information gently bit by bit in order to allow for understanding and further possible questions.

My purpose is not just to answer one person’s question but to make it available to everyone. If are directed to another place for your answers the rest of us will lose. The personal touch and interaction from all whether by posting or reading diminishes, and so does this forum. It would be easy to e-mail information to those who ask leaving all others out. Then what have I accomplished???

I am sure that Jim’s writings on sequencing is good, knowing him it would be very good, this is not a reflection on his work. I just would like more happening here on OUR forum. It is bad enough that our future desires for a Technics keyboard has died, why allow our community here on this forum go as well. No, let me restate – Why not add more of everything to this forum, why not make it a place of interest that many more of us will visit. There were people at the Florida Jam who never thought of visiting here to receive answers to their questions.

I say this tongue in cheek – I can visit forums dealing with my new keyboard that post information about so many interesting subjects -- from the very involved to the happenings on a job they played – it’s a community.

This is one of the forums I visit daily -- I am trying to add to it. If I have stepped on any ones toes it was not to insult or put down, only to bring what I felt is important to this forum.

John C.

#66834 - 03/26/08 07:12 AM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
bruno123 Offline

Roger,
How can I say it -- Peter has become my brother, I love-da-guy. I made an error in asking him to arrive at the Miami airport, it added many miles to my travel --- but it also added to our time together which was a blessing. He is a gentleman and his stories are good. His performance at the jam was unique like no other and it was appreciated. BUT, there is that word again, it was not possible to have some of the ladies attracted to him. I might add he did not seem very unhappy about it. he he he he

I have not thought of making a trip over the pond to join in one of your jams, although I saw the writings you prepared for them, that has me interested. Knowing that I might visit with Mr. Peter Davie will certainly move me towards making the trip.

How bad could it be to visit England –(Grin)

Be well Roger, John C.

#66835 - 03/26/08 12:21 PM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
To - Lance,Ted, & John,

What an interesting thread. I agree with you Lance. That whilst the use of 'Midi' files when used as accompaniment to supposed 'live' playing, may enhance the overall sound of the performance, it must surely be far more satisfying to know, that your backing accompaniment, is also 'all your own work'. !!!

After all, we can all accompany Mr Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald from our keyboard, but nobody would consider such playing as satisfying or rewarding. - If the point Lance is making is - that using someone else's musical skills to enhance our own 'lack of skills' is not so enjoyable and rewarding as using our own skills, then I wholeheartedly agree. A point well made Lance.

Ted's point about posting 'instructional' advice on the subject of sequencing, sounds like an excellent idea. ! - But, it's been my experience that the method of 'doing things' when sequencing, especially when utilising facilities such as - composer -sequencer - panel memories - sound panel voice mixes - step record - MSA - etc etc, may vary enormously from one player to another. - Dependent upon each players strengths and weaknesses. (musically speaking that is). Meaning, that because we all have different musical skills, (some read music, while others can't and don't read a note), our actual method of sequencing may be totally different than someone else's. Because, we will each develop a method and 'sequence' of sequencing, which fits exactly into our particular skills. (or indeed, lack of skills) ! - So, nothing is written in stone. It would be impossible for me (and I know for Ted as well), to explain to anyone intending to sequence from a basis of reading and recording from the dots, how to sequence. All my sequencing is done entirely from a basis of not referring to a single note of music. As such, the 'principles' of what I do, are totally different than they would be for a skilled and highly trained music reader. - It is too lengthy to describe here why this is so, but it is.

Finally John's point of helping people to learn what to do on the sequencing front. - It is indeed very admirable to go out of one's way, to assist others. But, the subject of multi-track sequencing could easily take up a whole small book. And at the end of it all, success will still be dependent upon the musical imagination and keyboard skills of the player.

There is some wonderful Midi stuff available to use as backing accompaniments. But, to play and produce your own backing accompaniments, is surely more satisfying and enjoyable. As Lance has so readily described, our keyboards give us a myriad of wonderful facilities, designed to allow us to exercise our musical imagination. As such, we will all have varying ideas on how these facilities can be best used and utilised. And at the end of the day, although each individual facility can be explained as to how best to use it, that 'best' is only as each individual perceives it. And also (unfortunately), the musicianship of the player. !!! - Happy sequencing,

Colin.

#66836 - 03/26/08 03:52 PM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
John,

In your post "To all who frequent this forum" I assume you were referring to my post to Ted Rose, in this thread. If this is the case, I would make the following comments :

Your Quote : " 1-Help people who have asked." I have always endeavoured to help fellow members of the forum in any way I can. My website was constructed mainly to provide information about the use of our wonderful KN7000 and the response I have had over the years, would indicate that it has done just that.

Your Quote : " My purpose is not just to answer one person’s question but to make it available to everyone. If are directed to another place for your answers the rest of us will lose. The personal touch and interaction from all whether by posting or reading diminishes, and so does this forum. It would be easy to e-mail information to those who ask leaving all others out. Then what have I accomplished???"

If a question is asked on the forum and the required information is already available on my website, then it is freely accessible to all, so there is little point in repeating it on this forum. Ted asked for help on sequencing, so it seemed sensible to direct him to a tutorial which already exists. The fact that I directed him to the tutorial in no way precludes any other reader of the post, from accessing the tutorial. If a member does visit my website - as a result of an initial post on this forum - to access a particular file and then raises further questions, I always try to respond on the forum, so that it does not exclude others. However, if they choose to contact me by email with questions or specific points, then I will naturally respond directly via email.
I cannot understand your thinking behind your comment : Quote : "If are directed to another place for your answers the rest of us will lose. Anyone can follow the link to my website, or indeed, any other referenced website.

Having had several communications with Ted in the past, I know that he does not read music or chords - as he said in his post - he is "strictly an 'ear-player' with no musical background" so there is little point in telling him to use a lead sheet. Ted asked "why don't you, and any others with the ability to "sequence," give some thought to sharing some of your ideas with the rest of us?" - That is precisely what I did!

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 03-26-2008).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#66837 - 03/26/08 07:23 PM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
bruno123 Offline

Bill,
I respect you and think highly of your work. Your site is one of the best.
My only thought is to bring more life to our forum, I know what it used to be and no longer is. If I have stepped on your toes I apologies. It is only my view on how to bring more interest to the forum. If there are other ideas I am open.

Bill, If I had to throw a dart it would not be at you, you have brought to much to this forum. I have been told to leave things as is, do not steer, let it be -- it has been and will continue to be. They are words but the facts show different. I measure the facts by the activity going in the forum.

If there are those who wish me to back off I will do so. I do not want to hurt this forum. If there are those who want to add to this forum let me know.

Many of my posts are for two reasons:
1-I love helping people.
2-I am trying to give the people on the forum something that will attract their interest in our forum.

I have no other need, John c.

#66838 - 03/26/08 09:22 PM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
This thread has really become most interesting! When I commented on the initial post by Santa1, I had no idea I was opening a virtual "Pandora's Box"! But, nonetheless, I think some very practical and useful comments and suggestions have come about.

I want personally to thank John, Bill Norrie, Colin, et.al. for all the specific references, comments and referrals you have provided. In response to Bill's suggestion to me, I returned again to his fabulous web site to read and absorb his very useful tip #22, which I have printed for future reference. In addition, I read again some of the other fine tips on that great site, and recommend to everyone to look at it, if you have not done so at all, or if some time has passed since you checked it out and need a refresher on any of a number of things musical.

I don't know if this thread will continue but perhaps we have again started some interesting dialogue of a musical nature. I just hope we can keep it objective and, as the SynthZone Forum always has been in the past, other meaningful threads will be started again as they once were.

I think we are certainly an interesting and exciting international group of both professional and amateur musicians and non-musicians, but all of whom have in common the interest in our respective keyboards and how to improve our listening and playing. I have garnered and learned a wealth of information from my friends and colleagues both here on the public SZ Forum and in private e-mails over the years. I am encouraged that we will continue to share our thoughts, ideas, suggestions, assistance, and, yes, even occasional gripes (as long as they are relevant to a topic!) and am happy that perhaps I was at least a bit instrumental (if you will excuse the pun) in moving the Forum activity along again.

My best personal regards go out to all of you and I thank you sincerely for taking the time to answer what I sometimes think may sound like naive questions, but they are important links to my musical growth as I learn more each day about the wonders of these magnificent insruments that afford me and you such pleasure to hear and play!

Ted Rose

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 03-26-2008).]

#66839 - 03/27/08 01:00 AM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
bruno123 Offline

Ted Rose, You are a gentleman.
John C.

#66840 - 03/27/08 05:53 PM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
"More on Live Play"....The title of this thread....

Reading this thread has been somewhat confusing relative to the title... There is talk here about chord progressions, sequencing, midi play and lots of stuff that I do not do, nor do I know a lot about. Non of my live playing has been midi play. So far I have had no interest in "Midi play"... The sequencer is a wonder that I do wish to master so that I can share my interpretation of music with others.....

Chord progressions? I have a vague understanding of what this means and my ear knows when the "proper" chords are engaged in my playing.... at least I know what pleases my ear and those who hear my music..

Whatever the sheet in front of me tells me to play...that is what I play. I do not (yet) play by ear....however, my ear tells me immediately if the sounds I make are "pleasing" or absolutely not....

I like the idea of playing what sounds good to me.... If you like it....fine... If you do not like what I play....fine!

I am not of the school that feels it is necessary to follow some designated specific way to do anything....including playing music. I support individual choices that are pleasing to the individual.

Twice each week I play for an audience of seniors in a nearby community. Some members of my audiences are either retired professional musicians and/or some are still playing professionally. Some share a love of music and have never played. Many could not care less about music. All members of all three of my audiences are very very appreciative of the time and energy and the music I share with them every week. My greatest joy is in the pleasure of sharing.

So "Live Playing", for me has brought more joy than I ever dreamed I would have in my "retirement" years.... To change what I am doing beyond just making changes that please me and my audiences in order to follow someone elses dictates makes little sense to me.

HOWEVER... Bill Norrie, Roger Mepstead, Colin Leaney, Joan Banfield, Audrey Turner and Bob Hendershot, and many other members of this forum have offered wonderful ideas that I have found very helpful in my learning more and more about the awesome Technics KN's and I know that this is the place to ask questions and gain more and more knowledge about playing for others and gaining perspective and skills that are pleasing to everyone who hears my music....

I say thank you to all of you wonderful musical friends for all you contribute to me and to this forum....

ELIZABETH

#66841 - 03/27/08 07:25 PM Re: More on Live Play / etc.
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Elizabeth, you are a very special lady. Maybe someday I'll get a chance to hear you play live.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online