SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#67378 - 07/19/08 09:04 AM GOLDWAVE / AUDACITY?
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
The CD Recording post mentioned both Goldwave and Audacity. I have used Audacity and I have found it limited when it comes to being able to fine tune input volume coming from a file done in the KN Audio Recorder. I either end up with not enough or too much input signal by clipping with the limited controls. Perhaps I am not familiar with getting around this in this program. My question is, is Goldwave more flexible than Audacity when it comes to this? Bill, I am sure you are the one that can elaborate on this. I wish there was a program that would automatically set peak-input volume when recording. Is there?

Thanks,

Mark

#67379 - 07/21/08 02:46 AM Re: GOLDWAVE / AUDACITY?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Mark,

I use Goldwave most of the time for any Digitally based recording, including transferring my LP collection to CD. It is a very professional program and in my opinion, more versatile than any others I have tried. It includes many tools/functions which other programs do not - have a look here : http://www.goldwave.com/features.php

You can download a fully functional trial version from www.goldwave.com
The program accepts inputs from several sources, including the direct USB link from the KN7000 keyboard. When using the program to produce files for subsequent transfer to a CD, I find it best to make a Sequence first and then play back the finished sequence to Goldwave, rather than playing directly. This allows editing/corrections to be more easily made, before committing to a WAV file.
If you already have files on your PC, which were recorded using the Panasonic Recorder, then these can of course be loaded into Goldwave for processing.

A very comprehensive manual is included within the 'Help' section of the program. If you wish to generate MP3 files from your source material, you will require an MP3 encoder, which Goldwave can use, during the 'Save to Disk' operation. The recommended encoder is called 'Lame' and a link for downloading, is included in the Goldwave Download Page.

With reference to setting peak volume levels, as far as I am aware, there is no direct method for doing this during the actual recording process, when using the USB input, since this is a Digital Input. There is no USB Volume control in the program, however, all the Analog Volume inputs do have individual volume controls. The program incorporates several methods of optimising the volume after recording and since the data is in Digital Format, increasing the volume - post recording - does not significantly affect the Signal to Noise ratio. Having said that, it is best to try to maximise the volume levels on the KN7000, before recording. However, maximising the volumes of all the sections of a performance, should not be done at the expense of proper balance between the individual parts. It is important to ensure that the 'APC/Sequencer Volume' is set to Maximum, since this control affects the USB output level. The 'Main Volume' control does not affect the USB output level.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#67380 - 07/21/08 07:15 AM Re: GOLDWAVE / AUDACITY?
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Hi Bill,

Thanks for everything you have said. So you fully know what I have done I will explain. I have recorded edited sequenced songs from the KN7000 through USB to the KN Audio Recorder (Panasonic Recorder) in the computer. I have my volumes set quite high in the keyboard but still, the input signal at best is around 70%. After making a file at this input level, I bring up the file in Audacity. At the bottom left side of the Audacity screen is a percentage line that you can click on for signal input increase. (3,6,9 etc.) Clicking on 3 isn’t enough to reach the peak limits. Clicking on 6 ends up too much. It seems like the program should allow more precise settings. As you know, it is important to get as much signal as possible when recording a CD to bring up the CD volume to what is considered the standard volume for CDs.

I will check out Goldwave. Your knowing what I said above, I am hoping that Goldwave has more refined input signal settings.

Mark

#67381 - 07/21/08 08:01 AM Re: GOLDWAVE / AUDACITY?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Quote " I will check out Goldwave. Your knowing what I said above, I am hoping that Goldwave has more refined input signal settings."
You can alter the Post Record Volume by any amount in Goldwave.........

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#67382 - 07/23/08 11:39 AM Re: GOLDWAVE / AUDACITY?
Joe Baron Offline

Loc: England
[posted by kitkat:
I have used Audacity and I have found it limited

I have Soundcard "Soundblaster live 1.5" on my PC.
I record direct from KN7000 to PC by choosing "WHAT-U-HEAR" on the soundcard.
Good quality too.
Regards.
Joe.

#67383 - 07/23/08 02:49 PM Re: GOLDWAVE / AUDACITY?
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Is Goldwave also freeware, like Audacity?

I have used Audacity sofar but reading the promising specs I wonder.

Regards, Fred

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online