SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#68043 - 01/22/09 08:19 AM KN7000 GLITCH – HAPPENED TWICE
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
The other day, I was making a change in a Panel Memory of a sequenced song that I did several months ago. While I was making the changes in a Panel Memory, the keyboard turned off and immediately came on again. It concerned me but I just thought it was a once in a lifetime happening. The next day, I was also making a change in a sequenced song and the same thing happened – keyboard turns off and immediately came back on. Scary! It hasn’t happened since but I also haven’t been playing the keyboard that much. This happened after I installed all four of the useless Expansion Boards. I hope they haven’t created the problem. I was very careful installing them and they all come up correctly.

My question: Has anyone else experienced their keyboard turning off for no apparent reason? I’m hoping this isn’t the beginning of a serious problem.

Thanks,

Mark

#68044 - 01/22/09 09:43 AM Re: KN7000 GLITCH – HAPPENED TWICE
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Mark,

You wouldn't be using something that was originally from the KN6000 would you?

The reason I ask is My Kn6000 had a habit of turning off in the middle of playing for no reason at all which was very embarrassing at 'gigs' so I quickly exchanged it for a KN6500.

However, since that time I have acquired quite a few settings from other KN Members some of which were created on the KN6000 and almost always, when using these sets, problems occur so much so, I now don't use them as I don't want to damage my KN7 for obvious reasons.

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 01-22-2009).]

#68045 - 01/22/09 04:11 PM Re: KN7000 GLITCH – HAPPENED TWICE
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Mark,

Are you sure that your mains lead is firmly seated in the back of your keyboard and that the plug in the wall socket is correctly fitted. If the mains lead in the back of the keyboard is loose, then slight movement of the keyboard, when pressing the panel buttons, could cause the connection to become intermittent.

Since I don't know which part of the world you are located, I don't know if you have a fuse fitted inside the mains plug. In UK, the mains plugs we use, have a cartridge fuse inside the plug body and I have known them to make an intermittent connection, on more than one occasion..........
This type of fault could produce the effect which you describe.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68046 - 01/22/09 09:13 PM Re: KN7000 GLITCH – HAPPENED TWICE
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Audrey. No, I am not using anything done on the KN6000 but I thank you for the warning.

Thanks to you, Bill. You do bring up a very good point. My uncle had this keyboard and it was a unit marketed for the U.K. He had a good organ technician that put in a U.S. power supply and was told that it is totally a U.S. model. I don't know about whether the fuse that you mention is still in it. If the U.S. models normally don't have them, I would think with the conversion, it would be removed. Yes, I did immediately check to see if the plug in the keyboard and in the wall were tightly secure and they are. Do you think installing the Expansion Boards have anything to do with this? So far, it hasn't happened again but as I said, I haven't used the keyboard much since it did.

Mark

#68047 - 01/23/09 03:06 AM Re: KN7000 GLITCH – HAPPENED TWICE
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Mark,
The fuse to which I was referring, is actually fitted inside the UK Mains plug - ie the plug which goes into your household wall socket - not the end which connects to the KN7000 I don't think US plugs are capable of being fitted with an internal fuse..........

I doubt if the expansion boards are responsible for the observed 'glitch' - assuming that one or more of them is not faulty of course, however, if it happens again, you could always remove them ( You don't like them much anyway ) and see if that stops the 'glitch' occurring.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68048 - 01/23/09 08:16 AM Re: KN7000 GLITCH – HAPPENED TWICE
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Bill - You make VERY GOOD SENSE!!!

Mark

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online