SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#68282 - 03/13/09 08:56 AM Letters After Sound Names
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
I was looking through some of the sounds in Sound Explorer on my KN7000 and noticed some of the organ sounds have DE and NE after the name. Does anyone know what these letters signify. Also some of the Strings have NV ??

Glen

#68283 - 03/13/09 10:14 AM Re: Letters After Sound Names
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
You'll notice also that the organ DEs have a vibrato/wobble effect whilst the NEs don't. Wonder what the initials actually mean...?

#68284 - 03/13/09 10:23 AM Re: Letters After Sound Names
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
Wonder what the initials actually mean...?

The first who strike my mind is DigitalEffect and NoEffect, but that's
most likely wrong.
What does the manual or sound reference map/guide say?

Happy Playing
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#68285 - 03/13/09 11:11 AM Re: Letters After Sound Names
Glen Coyne Offline

I thought initially Gunnar was right as every organ with DE had the Digital Effect on but then I selected Organ Bass DE but it doesn't have digital effect !!

Come on Rog I give in ?

#68286 - 03/13/09 05:22 PM Re: Letters After Sound Names
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Glenn,
You must first determine what digital effect is being used, they are not all easy to spot. Sometimes the effect just gives you a slightly fuller sound.

I’m betting on DE = Digital Effects
NE = No Effects (I'm guessing)

But in humility I wait for the answer.

John C.

#68287 - 03/14/09 03:04 AM Re: Letters After Sound Names
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I've just been right through the Reference Manual (blue reference book) and it doesn't tell you...sob...
The only thing you learn is that the MSB remains the same but the LSB goes up 4 points !!!
I reckon Jon C is correct...
Rog

#68288 - 03/14/09 07:55 AM Re: Letters After Sound Names
Sapphire Online   content

Loc: Benfleet, Essex. UK
I think the answer is staring us in the face. If you look at the voices with NV you will see that the preceding voice is the same but without NV. I may be wrong but I think NV means New Variation.

Thats what I have always believed anyway.

Alan

[This message has been edited by Sapphire (edited 03-14-2009).]

#68289 - 03/14/09 08:58 AM Re: Letters After Sound Names
Glen Coyne Offline

Rog, John, Alan

Your comments are very valid until you look at Organ Bass DE it doesn't use Digital Effect, according to the DE it should do.

In practise it doesn't really matter what the name is called because you can just listen to the sound, it just intrigued me why they added the letters and didn't bother to explain in the blue Reference Guide.

Glen

#68290 - 03/15/09 04:08 AM Re: Letters After Sound Names
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Quote "....and didn't bother to explain in the blue Reference Guide." Nothing new there then Technics made superb keyboards but the User Manuals were considerably lacking in detail - to say the least. However, our good friend Alec did a great job with his supplementary manuals.....
On the question of DE, NE I would suggest, as others have, that DE is Digital Effect, NE is No Effect. If you observe the LED associated with the PART EFFECT/DIGITAL EFFECT button, when a sound includes the 'DE' tag, then the LED is lit and if the tag is either 'NE' or no tag, then the LED is not lit. With regard to the Organ Bass DE, although the LED is not lit when this sound is selected, there IS a subtle Digital Effect, in the form of a slow Rotary Speaker! Press, for example, the C4 key and switch between Organ Bass NE and Organ Bass DE (release the key between switching). I would suggest that this may be a minor bug in the software, in that the LED should be lit, but the link to operate it is just missing in the software routine, for this particular sound..........

With regard to the NV sounds, I think this indicates a sound with No Vibrato

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68291 - 03/15/09 07:39 PM Re: Letters After Sound Names
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Bill,
I think you are much closer to the mark in your reply.
I tried it on my PR903 pianner, and all sounds marked with DE had the Digital Effect light on, and the fast Leslie/Tremolo/Rotary speaker sound.
Those with NE (No Effect), had no Leslie/Tremolo/Rotary sound.
The Organ Bass marked DE had no Digital Effect light on, and no Leslie sound, but when the DE button was activated it had a slow Leslie sound. Slight oversight (as architects like to say) by Technics maybe, but no big deal. My vote is Digital Effect, and No Effect.
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online