SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#79793 - 09/05/05 03:45 AM Ebay turns 10
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Hard to beleive, but ebay is 10 years old. First time sold on ebay PEZ.

#79794 - 09/05/05 05:35 AM Re: Ebay turns 10
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Hello, old youngster! *LOL*

As I was a young man internet didn't exist. Well, at least not in this form. Do you remember the old times of accoustic couplers? With a bandwidth of up to 300 bauds? That was like highspeed for the analog networking world...*woooouushhhh*

Topics like these remind me that I'm getting older. EBay exists since 10 years! Wow, I'm really getting older...*LOL*

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 09-05-2005).]

#79795 - 09/05/05 06:02 AM Re: Ebay turns 10

I remember when the first modems came out and you had to put the reciver from you phone onto the Modem. A friend of my parents had an atari computer that had a modem like this. Couldn't really do a lot with it though. It was about 1982-or 83, I 11 years old. (Hope I'm not making you feel to old sherif )

#79796 - 09/05/05 07:31 AM Re: Ebay turns 10
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Yes my friends. Ebay is definitely getting older. Kind of like Dan. LOL

Actually as far as I know you two are roughly the sane age. May be five ears difference? Of coarse I am way younger and smarter and all. Turned 28 this summer. Actually even my soon to be wife is older than I am. By a couple of years. Okay okay I will stop right here.

Hard to believe that just ten years ago there was no real high speed internet as we know it and love it. NOt that many people even had internet access. So how did eBay start and why? Surely there are many many answers. Some come to mind right away. although it is still quite facsinating. Personally I stopped using it. If I do I make sure that the seller lives nearby so I have an opportunity to come by and check out the unit's condition. Last time I almost bought a Waldorf Microwave XT. First I lost the bid, but then the seller contacted me saying that the winner of the bid didn't purchase the item for some reason. I was next in line so according to the contract and eBay laws I became a winner of the bid. I agreed to buy the item on one condition. I have to check out the unit in person. THe seller didn't reply to me. Was I saved?
Devine intervention? Perhaps! LOL

-ED-

#79797 - 09/05/05 08:00 AM Re: Ebay turns 10

I occasionally buy and sell stuff on ebay. I have never had a problem dealing with anyone, all of my transactions have gone smoothly. I had one seller who could not buy an item of mine do too Hurricane Isabelle. Long story, I will not bore you with the details. He did give me postive feedback even though he did not buy my item, he was pleased with my communication and understanding. The buyer wanted me to leave him neutral feedback. Even though there was no transaction, he is a good person to deal with. Did find a buyer eventually.

I do hear people who have been burned by a bad transaction on ebay. Then say "I will never use ebay again". Ebay has nothing to do with them being burned. Ebay is a service to buy and sell. So people should not blame ebay for their problems. I am an honest seller/buyer with 60 postive feebacks at 100%. Which gives me a blue star. So anyone who deals with me will not be ripped off.

Microsoft had just introduced Windows 95 that same year. Computers were running at 120-130MHZ?, and modems were dial up.

Clavia of Sweeden introduced the ground breaking Nord Lead, the first Virtual Analog Synthesizer.

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 09-05-2005).]

#79798 - 09/05/05 12:43 PM Re: Ebay turns 10
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
First of all you do have negative experience with eBay. In case you forgot do a search on "Paul-61" and "Minimoog".

However, as you said it had nothing to do with eBay but rather with your own incompetence

Second, I do not like using eBay - period. You never know who you are dealing with. THere is always risck in you getting ripped off. That is a fact. Despite all the protection programs that eBay offers there are way too many wiseguys out there selling junk on-line. So it is not that I don't like the idea of Ebay or buying things on line. I simply don't trust it enough to do it and always expect positive results. Kind of like using credit cards on-line. There are those who never had a problem with that. There are those who had tons. I had a bit of both.

It's not that I don't shop on-line at all. It's just that I try to avoid it if possible.
-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-05-2005).]

#79799 - 09/05/05 01:25 PM Re: Ebay turns 10

The Minimoog incident happened outside of ebay. So I don't consider that to be a bad Ebay experince, but my own incompitence. other then that, I never have had a problem with ebay at all. But that's me.

#79800 - 09/07/05 07:41 AM Re: Ebay turns 10
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Yes my friends. Ebay is definitely getting older. Kind of like Dan.
But I still don't forget anything...*GRRR*

Hahaha, yes I'm slowly becoming an old fart but that's what you'll be in a few years too, you young fart!!!

EBay sucks because of its worse programming!!! They don't know my perfect web philosophy and that's the reason why their system lacks...

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online