SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#79822 - 02/02/07 11:09 AM Who would you like to work with...?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Frankly, I think I've been beating on the "Jazz" thing too hard. I like jazz and would like to make a living playing it, but that "ain't gonna happen".

In my time, I've played more country, Motown, standards, pop, folk and other types of music than jazz when on the bandstand, and enjoyed the experience; particularly the enterchange with talented, well-rounded other musicians.

On several occasions, I have had contact with members off-line, and one of the real powerhouses here is Rory Hoffman. His is a different background than mine, and we don't hear from him here much, but the guy has the chops, experience and dedication to rank him very high on my all-time list. The fact that he is heavy into country and gospel isn't important. I'd work with him in a heartbeat.
A recent project proves he could handle a Jazz job...no problem.

Diki, also is a person I admire, as much for his well articulated opinions as to what he wants to do, and his open-mindedness about the value of all types of music.

So, I was thinking about who I would most enjoy working with? In no particular order are:

* Rory (see above).

* Diki (see above).

* Nigel: The guy has a vast knowledge of guitar, good players, good music of all types
and is modest, in spite of great chops. Plus, he is dedicated to continuously expanding his playing and general musical knowledge.

* Tony (man, he's a founding member of "The Feeble Winds").

* Chas...same as above. Plus, his well articulated opinions about the business and the art of performing makes me sure he's a "killer" player.

* Dave Boyd...I'm trying to make that happen this summer at a week-long grand opening of a new country club. Only heard him for a few minutes messing around with that "junk" keyboard I pawned off on him, but he's a passionate guy about everything he does, likes much of the same kinds of music I do, and is about as much of a "loose cannon" as I am.

* Bebop: Seasoned horn players who came up like he (and me, somewhat) has are a wealth of knowledge and talent. Tslk about FUN on the bandstand!

* Don Mason...Who'd a "thunk it"? Always a gentleman, he'd be courteous and fun, even if we stayed in the country area.

There are more. The type of music isn't as important as the interaction. What a trip it would be!

Who's on your list?

Russ

#79823 - 02/02/07 08:32 PM Re: Who would you like to work with...?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey Russ - you'd be in MY band too !
There are SO many of the folks here that I love, but never heard live...so it'd be tough to pick. There are only a few that I know I'd clash with, but personality-wise ... I'd start with my posse ( Dnj, FranC, DonM, GaryD ) anyday !

Lessee...
Boo on Sax
Nigel on Gtr
Russ on B3 & Vibes
Me on bass

aw.......this is TOOooo hard !

#79824 - 02/02/07 09:51 PM Re: Who would you like to work with...?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ, thanks! I can play most any kind of music, even Jazz. But I am FAR from a Jazz purist. I do like of the New Orleans style Jazz. Some of the really syncopated stuff with strange timing I don't like and don't want to work that hard! I can count to four and I can count to five, but not in the same measure.
DonM

#79825 - 02/03/07 09:46 AM Re: Who would you like to work with...?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Thanks, Russ, ... it's nice to know I can get a gig somewhere ...

I really like UD's list ... add Gary, DonM or Donny on keys and vocals, I would only have to MC and count the money ...
t.

#79826 - 02/03/07 07:40 PM Re: Who would you like to work with...?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I could qualify to be your roadie
bebop

#79827 - 02/04/07 06:39 AM Re: Who would you like to work with...?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OK, "roadie" .... load that D6 on a truck, and bring it out to Philly ASAP !

#79828 - 02/04/07 05:16 PM Re: Who would you like to work with...?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#79829 - 02/05/07 12:27 PM Re: Who would you like to work with...?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I'm so flattered you guys included me in your choices. I'd play with you guys in a heartbeat. Though I do think Russ could show me more than a thing or two about playing guitar

So when do we start touring???

#79830 - 02/05/07 12:52 PM Re: Who would you like to work with...?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tour will start as soon as the Social Security checks start arriving...need them to finance our fleet of tour-Rascals!

"Grandpa" Russ

#79831 - 02/06/07 12:49 PM Re: Who would you like to work with...?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Tour will start as soon as the Social Security checks start arriving...

"Grandpa" Russ

Mine have BEEN arriving for a while now so I'm ready to go. Can't wait to hear some good ol' country pickin' on top of those McCoy Tyner chords.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online