SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#80243 - 03/06/06 08:19 PM Dr. John still rocking the house
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Our local theater is only 600 seats...but we get some really good entertainment during the winter. Tonight, Dr. John plus drummer, bass and guitar packed the place for two shows.

The audience was ALL ages...many dancing in the ailes. After talking about what Wilma did to his native New Orleans, he went into his version of "Accent the Positive". He must have used every chord known to mankind in it. I never heard such a complex version...but it ROCKED.

Eddie

#80244 - 03/07/06 05:28 AM Re: Dr. John still rocking the house
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The 'Dr.' IS great ... and I might say even GREATER with a big band ...
It was easy to figure why my version of "Accentuate..." didn't sound like his ... ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 03-07-2006).]

#80245 - 03/07/06 11:15 AM Re: Dr. John still rocking the house
MrEd Offline

He was in the right place, and it must have been the right time.

Eddie, what a treat!

Tony:
He was also great on a tune that he sung for Tom Scott's (sax/reed man) Apple Juice album, back in the 80's, I think.

The song was 'So White and So Funky'. I had a cassette and wore it out by playing it so much.

Looked for a replacement but none were available. Even tried to find that 1 song on any album but found nothing.

I have not been the same since...

I really enjoyed that Dr John tune, but I also enjoyed every tune on that album.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 03-07-2006).]

#80246 - 03/07/06 03:24 PM Re: Dr. John still rocking the house
raymb1 Offline

Loc: Great Falls, Va
Amazon has Tom Scott's album "Apple Juice". We used to play 3 or 4 tunes from that album back "in the day". Later, Ray

#80247 - 03/08/06 09:32 AM Re: Dr. John still rocking the house
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
In a way, Dr. John was instrumental in my obtaining the 5 CD changer I have ... Several years ago, a local station was having one of these 'name the artist' contests ... they played "Makin' Whoopee" ... I knew it was the Dr. but could't think of the female vocalist's name ... My wife remembered it was Ricki Lee Jones, so I had her call the station ... she got through, answered the question and won a Dr. John CD ... her name was then put into the "grand prize" drawing that Friday for the CD changer... I was sitting in a gas station on Friday afternoon when I heard her name announced as the winner !!!
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online