SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#81422 - 12/28/05 05:41 AM ... amidst the Christmas celebrations...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... I rec'd a bit of sad news... Tony Ettore, my former accordion teacher, and the person most responsible for my being musician, passed away last week ... At his studio, I met the young lady who later would be my wife, so he had even more of a role in my life being what it is ...
We hadn't seen each other for several years, but 2 summers ago I attended a reunion he had at his home ... I am so glad we got to see each other at that time ...
http://www.accordions.com/index/squ/en_squ_05_03_04.shtml#n
http://www.nj.com/obituaries/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-11/113515750343620.xml&coll=1

t.

#81423 - 12/28/05 09:59 AM Re: ... amidst the Christmas celebrations...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Tony,
Sorry for the loss of your friend and mentor.Condolences to you and yours,
Bebop

#81424 - 12/28/05 12:03 PM Re: ... amidst the Christmas celebrations...
tony mads usa Offline

BeBop ... thnx ... I was one of his original 'proteges' although I did not quite live up to his expectations, but he visited us a couple of years ago and asked me to play the keyboard for him ... he seemed quite favorably impressed... going through college part-time I taught accordion at his studio ... Even though we had not been close for a number of years, I will miss him ...
t.

#81425 - 12/29/05 07:32 AM Re: ... amidst the Christmas celebrations...
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Tony

The Ettore name, as you well know, is a very important name in the accordion industry. Sorry to hear of his passing. You're fortunate to have studied with him.
I believe you're from Rhode Island, well you have a great player from there by the name of Angelo DiPippo, but I'm sure you already know that. He's been living in New York for a number of years.
Being an accordion player myself, I clicked on the link you posted, and I didn't realized all the activity that's still going on with the accordion, especially in Europe. I don't get to play it much anymore, being more involved with the piano and PSR3000.
Thanks for the post.

Peter

#81426 - 12/29/05 11:06 AM Re: ... amidst the Christmas celebrations...
tony mads usa Offline

Peter ... It's nice to hear that others are aware of the name as well ...
When we moved to RI in 1984,one of the first places I visited was Angelo DiPippo's studio ... We (The Ettore Studio) competed against Dipippo and also Joe Cerrito (from RI) students all the time ...
Check out this link ... http://www.ameraccord.com/

as I looked through it the nostalgia set in as I knew sooo many of those people ... even the past AAA presidents ... In fact you will see the name Frank Busso - Frank and I were very good friends back in those days ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-29-2005).]

#81427 - 12/29/05 11:55 AM Re: ... amidst the Christmas celebrations...
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Yeah Tony...that link does bring back some memories. The name Dr. Jacob Nuepauer and William Schimmel. Dr. William Schimmel and I both studied at the Newpauer Conservatory of Music together. We both went on to New York. He went on to Julliard to get his PHD and I went into the commercial field of music as an arranger and composer working in records and writing jingles for radio and T.V.
Quite a few excellent players came out of Philly. Don't know if you know the names Joseph Soprani and Andy Arcari, I studied with both of them as well a Dr. Neupauer.
That was many years ago.
Thanks again for bring all this up.

Peter

[This message has been edited by Musicman22 (edited 12-29-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Musicman22 (edited 12-29-2005).]

#81428 - 12/30/05 01:55 AM Re: ... amidst the Christmas celebrations...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony:

Sorry to hear of the passing of Tony Ettore. This thread is very interesting since I'm very familiar with Angelo DiPippo and Joe Cerrito. My late piano teacher Salvatore Fransosi often talked about Angelo DiPippo. This past June I played at an entertainers showcase for activity directors at nursing homes, Joe Cerrito was one of the entertainers who also participated.

#81429 - 12/30/05 05:18 AM Re: ... amidst the Christmas celebrations...
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Tony:

Sorry to hear of the passing of Tony Ettore. This thread is very interesting since I'm very familiar with Angelo DiPippo and Joe Cerrito. My late piano teacher Salvatore Fransosi often talked about Angelo DiPippo. This past June I played at an entertainers showcase for activity directors at nursing homes, Joe Cerrito was one of the entertainers who also participated.

Thanks Steve, ... BTW, are you familiar with Diamond Centofanti? HE is a sax player who taught himself piano using the Berkely method ... he is a GREAT jazz pianist as well as sax player ...

When is this 'showcase' and how does one get into it?
thnx,
t.

#81430 - 12/30/05 05:50 AM Re: ... amidst the Christmas celebrations...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Thanks Steve, ... BTW, are you familiar with Diamond Centofanti? HE is a sax player who taught himself piano using the Berkely method ... he is a GREAT jazz pianist as well as sax player ...

Sure,I know of Diamond, I haven't heard his name in quite a while. He's been on the scene here in Rhody for as long as I can remember. Back in the early 70s I worked for Luca Music and Diamond was a customer there.

Quote:
When is this 'showcase' and how does one get into it?
thnx,
t.

Tony it's usually held in June at the Smithfield Elks Club usually one day during the week. A good friend of mine Frank Castle a booking agent and one man band( he's a paesan he dropped the vowels from his last name). I talk to Frank at least once a week I'll tell him you're interested.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 12-30-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online