SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#82928 - 09/23/05 02:55 PM Times certainly have changed: Good HouseKeeping Article, May 13, 1955
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks to SZ member Elizabeth for emailing me the following 'eye-opening' article of yester year:

Scott

#82929 - 09/23/05 04:01 PM Re: Times certainly have changed: Good HouseKeeping Article, May 13, 1955
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Nice article, Scott. Written by Archie Bunker, right?

Glenn

#82930 - 09/24/05 12:35 AM Re: Times certainly have changed: Good HouseKeeping Article, May 13, 1955
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
It is funny to read that now, but scary to think that it was written at the time in all seriousness. I was exactly one year old when that was written as I was born on May 13 1954.

#82931 - 09/24/05 07:57 AM Re: Times certainly have changed: Good HouseKeeping Article, May 13, 1955
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Scott:
You reading up on becoming a housewife or something He He. Actually there were a lot of young girls at this time who did'nt have a clue as to what they was susposed to do staying home all day while her new husband was off earning the daily bread, the magizines created a Ozzie/Harriet type homefront, goal for them. Did'nt take long before this all went out the door, with women's lib telling them to go to work etc etc.......Pose

#82932 - 09/24/05 12:33 PM Re: Times certainly have changed: Good HouseKeeping Article, May 13, 1955
KN_Fan Offline

That is OUTRAGEOUS. I'm so MAD reading it!!

15 Minutes or REST? At least give 'er 30 minutes or a bit longer!! ;p

(ok...just in case this doesn't translate well...it's sarcasm guys )

#82933 - 09/24/05 01:40 PM Re: Times certainly have changed: Good HouseKeeping Article, May 13, 1955
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Yes.
A very good article. I will print it for my wife.

Thank you Elisabeth. Now go make that dinner!!!

-ED-

#82934 - 09/24/05 02:13 PM Re: Times certainly have changed: Good HouseKeeping Article, May 13, 1955
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Scotty...a vry good peice of History....it should be donated to the Smithsonion Institute...because IN'T NOBODY GONNA BELIEVE IT JUST HEARING ABOUT IT......
Tony Rome

#82935 - 09/24/05 02:33 PM Re: Times certainly have changed: Good HouseKeeping Article, May 13, 1955
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
I don't get it...so... what's your point??...
Just Kidding!!!

Very Good article Scott, and funny too...
Makes me think of "Leave It To Beaver", when June would walk about the house in heels and a pearl necklace, and Ward would sit in the living room with a shirt & tie on all evening.
I guess this article never applied to Ozzie & Harriet....did you ever notice..he never went to work, never had a job, at least from all accounts he didn't.
I guess that point slipped by the writers.
Thank Goodness times & mentalities have progressed.

...check out that 3rd point..."Be a little gay???"

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 09-24-2005).]

#82936 - 10/13/05 05:55 AM Re: Times certainly have changed: Good HouseKeeping Article, May 13, 1955
Anonymous
Unregistered

[
...Makes me think of "Leave It To Beaver", when June would walk about the house in heels and a pearl necklace....

Too funny--I seriously always wanted to be June--even vacuumed in dresses (home sewn, of course) when my now 23 year old son was a baby....I do long for some of the old days when things were so much more innocent and simple....but I can't say that I could NOT complain if my husband went out without me or came home late...and I DEFINITELY wouldn't have a hot or cold drink waiting unless it was coffee, hot chocolate or lemonade.....I always did and still do know my place...a hard working princess who should be treated accordingly....basically, this is the way women were trained to manipulate their men into doing things THEIR WAY out of not so much respect, but pure guilt---the article shows things exactly as I was raised!! LOL

...check out that 3rd point..."Be a little gay???"

Tell me about it....I can't do many folk songs or even Christmas tunes with my young students because of the frequent use of that very word which used to mean happy...but now gets lots of smirks and rolled eyes.........it seems that some word translations get twisted or just plain lost over the years.....for example, does anyone know what Auld Lang Syne means, anyway???

------------------
Julia, the Church Lady

[This message has been edited by spanglishjj (edited 10-13-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online