SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83305 - 10/03/06 04:05 PM I need some life advice.
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I have been offered a position within my company in Jacksonville Florida. I currently live in New York and commute 2+ hours each way to Manhattan. They will transfer me to Florida at my full New York Salary with a modest relocation stipend, but will not buy or sell my house if I have difficulty. Cost of living in Florida is probably 30% less than New York.

The big kicker for me is hurricanes. I've been through Hurrican Andrew when I lived in Miami and it set us back 5 years becasue we moved back to New York.

Should I stay or should I go?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#83306 - 10/03/06 05:17 PM Re: I need some life advice.
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Do you love NY or Florida. Money is not enough incentive to move on it's own merit.

I do think you would have a lot more disposable income and the winters are not hard to take in Florida. What's gonna make ya happy is what counts.

My 2 cents worth.

Good luck with your decision.

Jerry

#83307 - 10/03/06 05:55 PM Re: I need some life advice.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Keep a lookout for my angry ex down there. I'd worry more about HER than a HERicane !

#83308 - 10/04/06 03:46 AM Re: I need some life advice.
kbrkr Offline

OMG, UD you had me in stitches with that one. I forgot all about the Red Storm. Maybe they can cordone off the area where she lives on Google Earth or something so that I don't accidentlly run into her.

Your too funny!

#83309 - 10/04/06 03:49 AM Re: I need some life advice.
kbrkr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mainer:
Do you love NY or Florida. Money is not enough incentive to move on it's own merit.

I do think you would have a lot more disposable income and the winters are not hard to take in Florida. What's gonna make ya happy is what counts.

My 2 cents worth.

Good luck with your decision.

Jerry

Your right Jerry, money isn't the only thing. It's the quality of life. I can't bring myself to face another winter in the Northeast. I'm a born again beach baby. Plus, I'd regain another 4 hours a day by cutting out my horendous commute. I still have one daughter who is a sophomore in High School who is not liking the idea of moving right now. Plus I just moved into a huge beautiful new home.

Lot's to consider....

#83310 - 10/04/06 06:47 AM Re: I need some life advice.
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
If you move to Florida, I think the best way to do it is the way you're doing it, i.e. have your company move you and your family with the same salary.
I don't know how much cheaper it is to live here especially in recent years but, the life style is much better. The weather is the big issue here. Almost everyday is a sunny day and that does effect your emotional state.

This past week end me and my family were in West Orange N.J. attending my nephew's wedding, at the Manor, you probably know it. I played there a few times about 25 years ago.....anyway, we came into Newark Airport.....what can I say. I forgot how congested that area is and part of the weekend was DREARY!

The winters down here are absolutey wonderful. After you've lived here 3 0r 4 years that understanding really starts to sink in. That understanding doesn't sink in if you only come down a week or a month at a time in the winter. I do not miss the cold weather at all.

I know you have a tough decision to make considering your new home, your daughter and your commute to the city. Maybe what I've said here will help you make a decision.

Good luck.

Peter

#83311 - 10/04/06 07:27 AM Re: I need some life advice.
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Life occasionally throw us an opportunity,but not very often. This could be the one which could make major changes....Take it and move to Florida.

#83312 - 10/04/06 08:11 AM Re: I need some life advice.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Come on!! Choice between NY and Florida? That's a no-brainer. Tell the kid she's gonna love it there!
DonM

#83313 - 10/04/06 08:28 AM Re: I need some life advice.
kbrkr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Musicman22:
If you move to Florida, I think the best way to do it is the way you're doing it, i.e. have your company move you and your family with the same salary.
I don't know how much cheaper it is to live here especially in recent years but, the life style is much better. The weather is the big issue here. Almost everyday is a sunny day and that does effect your emotional state.

This past week end me and my family were in West Orange N.J. attending my nephew's wedding, at the Manor, you probably know it. I played there a few times about 25 years ago.....anyway, we came into Newark Airport.....what can I say. I forgot how congested that area is and part of the weekend was DREARY!

The winters down here are absolutey wonderful. After you've lived here 3 0r 4 years that understanding really starts to sink in. That understanding doesn't sink in if you only come down a week or a month at a time in the winter. I do not miss the cold weather at all.

I know you have a tough decision to make considering your new home, your daughter and your commute to the city. Maybe what I've said here will help you make a decision.

Good luck.

Peter

Ahhh, Peter, the voice of reason.

I lived in south Florida in 1992 for a year, and I loved it. Played golf 4 times a week, 9 holes before work 3 time a week. I also weighed about 30 lbs less. But, this is not entirely about me, I have a family of 5 and this affects their futures as well. Will they have a better life in Florida or New York.

I think Graham really hit it on the head. How often does an opportunity like this come along? It's looking better and better. Now I need some New York folks to give me a counter point. Where's Tony?

#83314 - 10/04/06 01:54 PM Re: I need some life advice.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
[B]I forgot all about the Red Storm. [B]

Wish "I" could forget! She just won't finalize this darn divorce !
(my own fault for jumping in head first into a thimble full of HOT water!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online