SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#85384 - 09/30/05 07:00 AM winmx
ochre aka ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Fellow Music Lovers,

I occaisionly download some of the good old tunes from winmx but for the past 10 days or so altho' I get the flashing yellow light on the "finding network connection" page, no connection comes up.

Has it broken down, or been closed down?

Peter

#85385 - 09/30/05 10:35 AM Re: winmx
technicsplayer Offline

old news... its been closed down with edonkey and others by lawyers threats from the RIAA. Wait to see if they relocate offshore before uninstalling the program.

#85386 - 10/01/05 10:11 AM Re: winmx
ochre aka ogre Offline

Thanks for thqt sad news Alec. The sort of stuff I look for has long been discontinued, and buying old 78s is a bit dodgy.

Peter

#85387 - 10/01/05 09:58 PM Re: winmx
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
It brings up the old question:

Is downloading music a crime?

If Yes....

You can record songs from a radio direct to a cassette. Is THAT a crime?

Your friend buys a CD and burns a copy of a song on the CD, and gives it to you as a gift. Is THAT a crime?

It may be a never ending battle

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#85388 - 10/02/05 11:04 AM Re: winmx
ochre aka ogre Offline

Yeah - I wouldn't have thought that downloading music from 78s that were no longer being commercially produced was illegal BUT copying from stuff still in production -- well, I wouldn't be too happy at losing royalties if I was in the business. Ho hum.

Peter

#85389 - 10/02/05 07:03 PM Re: winmx
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I suppose that the recording industry is only trying to control copying. They can, although not completely, control downloading songs from the Internet, but how do they control what happens in the privacy of your home?

How do they stop someone from emailing a song to a friend? The reciepient can claim that he is just "borrowing" the song. I don't think it's a crime to borrow a song from a friend, is it?

They can try and control copying by inserting copyproof data onto CD's, similar to Movie DVD'S. However there always seems to be a way to "beat it" To some, it's a challange.

This is why the "never ending battle" is an "uphill never ending battle", similar to VHS Video Recorders. It's against the law to record on a video recorder...uh???

SeeYa,
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#85390 - 10/02/05 07:22 PM Re: winmx
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Try Limewire.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online