SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#86094 - 12/23/05 04:38 PM When you thought things were going well part 2
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
As many of you remember, last year I had prostate cancer and I had my prostate removed. I just had my annual physical this year. It wasn't two hours after I left the office that I received a message to call my doctor. My fasting sugar was 218! I had another test this week and it was 208.

Now I'm diabetic. I wonder what it will be next year?

The prostate removal does wonders for your love life and now I can't eat either. They should just shoot me now.

Merry Christmas

Tom

Tom

#86095 - 12/23/05 07:12 PM Re: When you thought things were going well part 2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Tom ... Sorry to hear about your recent health problems ... Try to keep a positive attitude ... As Gary says "gettin' old ain't for wimps" ...

Merry Christmas, friend....
t.

#86096 - 12/23/05 07:17 PM Re: When you thought things were going well part 2
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tom:

Hang in there One Day at A Time!! 21 years ago I was diagnosed with a severe physical reaction to alcohol, to make matters worse my liver was looking very unhealthy. I felt the same way, that they may as well shoot me when the Doctor said you could die if you drink anymore alcohol. Well here I am, not drinking and doing just fine. You'll do fine my friend. Life sometimes becomes a series of adjustments some that we don't like but if we take them in stride we get thru them.

Merry Christmas and I hope 2006 brings better health to you.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 12-23-2005).]

#86097 - 12/23/05 08:03 PM Re: When you thought things were going well part 2
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tom,

Try the South Beach Diet for 90 to 120 days, and there's a good chance that your blood sugar level will revert to normal in just a few short weeks. My wife was in the same teritory, her doctor put her on some nasty drugs, neither of which had much of an effect at lowering her slowly rising blood sugar level. After 3 months of South Beach program, no medications, normal blood sugar levels and her dumb-assed doctor said "Well, I think you should go back on the medications as a precautionary measure." It has been more than a year now, her blood sugar level is still normal, still not on any medications and her doctor still don't have a clue.

Give it a try--it can't hurt, and according to the book, most everyone that was experiencing higher than normal blood sugar levels reverted to normal levels in just a few weeks after starting the program. Beats the hell out of pills, all of which have nasty side effects.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#86098 - 12/24/05 10:02 AM Re: When you thought things were going well part 2
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Tom....Hang in there, you made it this far
so you AIN'T goin no where.....That South Beach diet Gary and Donny are on is the thing to turn it all around dude....DO IT...
Merry Christmas.....
TR

#86099 - 12/24/05 10:41 AM Re: When you thought things were going well part 2
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Tom,
We are really sorry to hear about your problems. Keep on Keeping on. Life is still good
Best to you and yours,
Bebop and Jann

#86100 - 12/26/05 06:01 PM Re: When you thought things were going well part 2
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Thanks guys! I really shouldn't have posted that. It was stupid of me to be feeling sorry for myself when I really have so much for which to be thankful. Life goes on and so do I. Gary, I may indeed try the South Beach diet.

Tom

Tom

#86101 - 12/26/05 07:10 PM Re: When you thought things were going well part 2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Thanks guys! I really shouldn't have posted that. It was stupid of me to be feeling sorry for myself when I really have so much for which to be thankful. Life goes on and so do I. Gary, I may indeed try the South Beach diet.
Tom

Tom .. It's easy to get into a situation where we are feeling sorry for ourselves ... the important thing is that you don't seem to have dwelled there ...
t.

#86102 - 12/27/05 12:23 AM Re: When you thought things were going well part 2
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Tom,
the first step to get rid/take care of something that bothers you is to admit that there IS something to bother you.
You already did that, the rest is going to be easier.
Merry Christmas
Theodore

#86103 - 12/27/05 01:47 PM Re: When you thought things were going well part 2
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi Tom!
I can't really say much beyond what others said already and I can only agree. Positive attitude is the key. You just have to find it in you.

Ten years ago I was diagnosed with a serious auto-immune disease that nearly killed me. Treatment was pretty tough on my system and among many side effects (which affected everything from love life to basic day to day social life) I suffered a retinal de-touchment in both of my eyes. Took years to recover from all the surgeries and the side effects of the medication (that I no longer have to take thank god)

Anyway, the only things that kept me sane were music, synths and my job. Staying busy was the best drug for me. With little time left to sit around and feel bad you'll rule the world again. You know, "Use the force".

I can't really give much advice since I'm not in the same boat but I think the main trick is to get over the initial state of shock. From there things get better. At least to my experience. As I said, writing music and tweaking synths was my drug and it pulled me out of depression. Whatever you wil find will work. As human beings we are very resourceful and tough. You'll just have to trust yourself.

Good luck and have a good new year!

-ED-

------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online