SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86989 - 10/02/05 09:50 AM Stop talking, stop writing...
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Should I stop talking/writing about my opinions and experiences?

In the last time there are more and more people who doesn't care about what I've said or to whom I've talked. Is it really so hard to understand others?

For a short while I left a German forum because the people became more and more verbal aggressive to what I've written. I never did insult anyone personally but I would have been insulted by them. I only argumented with facts but they didn't realize it and even claimed that I would have no answer. They changed my arguments and built another story out of it...

This was the point when I left this German forum with the kind words that I'm a peaceful human and I'm leaving before I'm exploding. I don't like such "side talks" because they are hurting my mind so much. All the energy for people in need of help is flowing into nothingness because of the EGOs of contra-workers. It doesn't make any sense to me...

So, is it better to keep silent - to never try to help others with their dilemma, or to talk about my own opinions and experiences? Well, I thought that forums were made for this but who really knows???

What's your opinion to this thematic?

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#86990 - 10/02/05 10:51 AM Re: Stop talking, stop writing...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
...Sheriff....
....if someone disagrees with your opinions in one way or another, on this forum, or anywhere , for that matter, let it roll off your back, we have this priviledge called freedom of speech.

Whoever...or ...Whatever feedback, is causing you grief...don't let it bother you. It's one person's opinion as opposed to another's, that's what forums are for....
"Don't sweat the small stuff..."

------------------
...shboom

#86991 - 10/02/05 12:47 PM Re: Stop talking, stop writing...
Sheriff Offline

I agree with you in the point of opinions, Shboom!

But what is with experiences? I think that nobody is allowed to wipe out other's experiences. Okay, sometimes we can't understand those experiences especially then when we've made another one in a similar situation. But that's the point, I'm afraid - no situations are really identical. So, it's natural that experiences are almost going separate ways.

Or what about facts? There are physical facts which can't be wrong argumented as long as we're understanding the facts. Why do some people try to change the physical reality? Only to get right? And, why do some people insult others in forums by letting them know that they think the others have no answer?

This is not my way of conversation, yet! But maybe this will be the future way of conversation? I don't know...

I don't have much problems with older people who have learned to be honest and I'm always ready to learn from their experiences. Mostly I have problems with younger fellows who can't accept that I'm a little bit more experienced than them. So, usually I keep cool and let them run head ahead against the wall. IMHO the best way to do so is: Leave them alone and let them talking! Is that weird?

#86992 - 10/02/05 02:17 PM Re: Stop talking, stop writing...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Like shboom said

Let's face it, we have a lot of different people here with very different backgrounds , different opinions and different native languages.
Just the different native language alone is already a potential danger for conflicts, as you or I could write something well intended, but wrong taken..

This is one of the reasons I "try" to stay away from politics on this board

Your observation that you seem to have less conflicts with older people is correct.
As one of the older people I would say that the proverb older and wiser stands.
Secondly when you grow older usually you get milder.

Now, you SEE there's ONE Sentence above that will urge young people to jump on immediately by saying OLDER DOES NOT MEAN WISER.

Ofcourse I disagree...

As long as there's discussion there's no war!

Oh and Danny and if you are sometimes close to Amsterdam just give a notice and we might jam together.

Fred

#86993 - 10/02/05 04:01 PM Re: Stop talking, stop writing...
Sheriff Offline

Hey, Fred! What a cool idea! If I'll be close to Amsterdam then I'll tell you so! I'm always ready for a jam...

Hmm, it makes me sad that there's so much missunderstanding in the world. Even in my own country with my own native language I have noticed such problems. I think that the people are too much involved into their own mind model to hear a complete sentence spoken by his opponent. So, it's very dangerous to talk with other people especially if they are from other countries. More conversation problems appear when technical terms will be used (because you'll have to mix the languages). So, it's logical to me to speak very careful but I'm also having a borderline. At this point I usually say what I think about those aggressive words and leave the place...

In the meantime I was going to be a little bit thin-skinned. Maybe I should pause a while from any forums. It's not really satisfying me to get angry about this or that senseless virtual discussion. I think I'll have to think about some changes in my life. I'll make much more music than before and I'll stop talking. I'm a musician, not a speaker...

Thank you all for your advice! I'll become a better musician without any anger. That's what I wanna be!!!

#86994 - 10/02/05 05:20 PM Re: Stop talking, stop writing...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sheriff,

I've always enjoyed your humor, learned a lot from your experiences, and sincerely hope that you will continue to post both your opinions and experiences here in this forum.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#86995 - 10/02/05 09:09 PM Re: Stop talking, stop writing...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Hey Sheriff !!!!! Like shboom said "Don't sweat the small stuff". We like having you around here. We can't all get on with everyone all the time. I just accept that because in any online sommunity there is just no way that everyone is going to get on 100% with everyone else. But I do hope that everyone has the maturity and intelligence to deal with that in a civil manner. If they don't I just turn off to it as it is not worth wasting my energy on petty differences.

#86996 - 10/03/05 12:30 AM Re: Stop talking, stop writing...
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Sheriff,

Your opinions are of equal value to anyone else's (they're certainly enjoyed by myself). They come uniquely from your own experiences, so it doesn't matter what others may think or express about them. They are, or course, entitled to voice their own ideas - that's the way a forum should operate.

I realise I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but one of the first things I learned about the music biz is that you need to develop the skin of a rhinocerous.

So, please keep on voicing your ideas and opinions - 'nil carborundum' (Roughly Latin for 'don't let the b******* grind you down').

#86997 - 10/03/05 09:34 AM Re: Stop talking, stop writing...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
It is the difference of opinion, differing viewpoints, angles, interpretations that make this world so vastly diverse! Without it, we'd all be robots. Consider it a blessing rather than a curse. I always enjoy point, counter-point discussions.

Keep up the communication, that's the key!!!

Good Luck! Sheriff

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#86998 - 10/03/05 01:23 PM Re: Stop talking, stop writing...
Sheriff Offline

At first, thank you all for your kind words, guys. It's always good to know that there are more people who have an ear or an eye for other's problems. Now I know once more that this community is a good one. SynthZone rules!!!

Okay, I've learned something from you, my friends. Now I'll have to repair a good friendship. I hope that it's not too late!!

Oh, by the way, I'll keep on writing here (if I get something to write) because there are more than one or two people who are reading these lines...
Again, Thank you all!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online