SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#87498 - 07/08/08 08:48 AM A new Toy...cardboard bass!
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Heard what I thought was a rock-a-billy upright on the floor at NAMM. Turned out it was a Bogden 3, a three string, cardboard bodied upright bass available in a kit.

The two string is $79.00, the 3 string is $99.00 and there was a "limited edition", with custom graphics available for, I think, $112.00.

The thing got the product innovation award at the show and has been reviewed favorably by Bassplayer magazine. The tuners are adjusted with a box end wrench.

We had to have one! It came with 31 pages of instructions. Really slowed down on page 12, with the 30th illustration.

Tools required include a glue gun and box cutter.

For what it is, sounds GREAT! Would be a cool music project for kids. Sounds outstanding through a 1000 watt Crown and 18" sub (just kidding!).

Check them out!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-08-2008).]

#87499 - 07/09/08 12:22 PM Re: A new Toy...cardboard bass!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Russ that looks so cool. What an awesome product. Here are some pictures to show what the kit and the bass look like.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 07-09-2008).]

#87500 - 07/09/08 12:36 PM Re: A new Toy...cardboard bass!
Nigel Offline
Admin

By the way Russ my wife Kerry shot a few 30 second AVI videos of the classic rock band I play in with her digtital camera the other night at a bar gig. While they are very rough and the little camera mic breaks up at times trying to cope with the higher sound levels they are still fun and do convey that "sweaty rock band in a bar" vibe. Of the course the drummer and myself behind the front line don't appear very much lol. This was the first gig with our new male singer Roger and Sandra has also just been with us for a couple of months so we are still ironing things out.
http://redrhythm.com/website/video/video.html

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 07-09-2008).]

#87501 - 07/09/08 12:40 PM Re: A new Toy...cardboard bass!

Yea, Nigel, we're having a ball with the one in the office! Actually think you could play a light jazz or bluegrass gig with one and a good amp.

I'm getting two more kits for a summer music camp run by the public schools system. I know one of the instructors, who will help students assemble and play one in each of the two remaining sessions. It's kind of like a poor mans upright with a pick-up. You can experience something very close to a real acoustic bass amplified.

Cool little silly, but educational toy!

Russ

#87502 - 07/09/08 01:06 PM Re: A new Toy...cardboard bass!

Nigel, WHAT A FUN GROUP! Tight and brings back my years of playing bar band stuff...some of the best times ever. Played in a club here in Lexington after returning from California while I finished school here. Big change from Surfing music, then jazz on the coast, but 6 nights a week of delight. Particularly like to still play Long Train Running.

I'd audition in a heartbeat to join you guys!
Really tight rythem section, which makes the band. Singers also sing on pitch.Nothing like hours on the bandstand in real time. You can really tell who the pros are. You folks have paid your dues and are still having fun. And that, to me is a big part of what it's all about!

Cool stuff! Thanks for posting it!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-09-2008).]

#87503 - 07/10/08 02:41 AM Re: A new Toy...cardboard bass!
Nigel Offline
Admin

So glad to hear you enjoyed seeing it Russ. It's all about the fun factor for us. Playing in a 6 piece band nowadays there aint a lot of money to be made so that certainly isn't the motivation. We simply like to play together. The instrumental section that makes up the core of the band have been playing together for 8 years now. We mainly play around Ventura and Los Angeles Counties. Ocasionally we play corporate gigs in Las Vegas which is always fun to do. We are back there again in October at Caesars Palace. We actually do make good money when we play those Vegas gigs. Corporate clients can afford more than local bars.

The drummer plays a Roland VDrums kit. It is very cool. It allows us to play rock music at a reasonable volume level which probably would be difficult to do if the drummer was using a regular acoustic drum kit with real cymbals. Just gotta love modern electronics.

#87504 - 07/10/08 07:47 PM Re: A new Toy...cardboard bass!
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Good stuff Nigel also reminds me of the bar days. is that you playing the lead on long train?

#87505 - 07/10/08 10:44 PM Re: A new Toy...cardboard bass!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
Good stuff Nigel also reminds me of the bar days. is that you playing the lead on long train?

Yep Mike it is lol. Tucked away in the back there it isn't obvious. Great that you were able to pick up on that.

#87506 - 07/13/08 04:32 PM Re: A new Toy...cardboard bass!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Nigel .... great stuff ...
Playing bar stuff is the BEST !!! ... too bad the hours are long and the money is short ... ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 07-13-2008).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online