SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#87653 - 10/17/08 12:55 PM Calling all teachers...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I've been asked to teach undergraduate college courses in Interpersonal Communication, Communication Process and Public Speaking. I've always had a love-hate relationship with the job of being an educator at the college level.
Love interaction with kids...that's why I'm looking at this. Normally, I teach research and communication processes at the graduate level. Here, I would be able to work with younger students, which I really enjoy.

What I hate is the politics, which, at the University level, are darker and more damaging than anything in corporate America.

How do you folks who teach deal with the issue of politics? Is the situation as bad at, say, the high school level?

Thanks,

Russ

#87654 - 10/18/08 10:01 PM Re: Calling all teachers...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Russ,
We have about 20 or so 18yr olds that are very excited to vote in this upcoming election. The split of Blue to Red is about 2 to 1 in our neck of the woods, but it's that way in most of PA. We've held a caucus, visited both campaign headquarters, and watch and read as much as we can with the kids to get them thinking about choices. I try not to influence them with my beliefs, but just state both sides, list the goop points in each and hope they listen.
I have a 22 yr old daughter that is having trouble getting good healthcare .... so she's really doing some homework so her vote can do her some personal good ... if that's possible this time around.
So, back behind the fence I go to remain annonomous and impartial in discussion...but when the curtain is drawn ... I'm ALL AMERICAN, baby.

#87655 - 10/20/08 08:09 AM Re: Calling all teachers...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Dave. I was talking about "office politics", not political opinions or parties...efforts to control and advance, using sometimes devious and deceptive practices. Often, it involves groups working to deny tenure, efforts to manipulate the board of trustees, using underhanded methods to gain department head status, etc.

That's the main problem I have with working in highter education. It's brutal and hard to deal with, in my expewrience.

I have taught many times at the University level, and always left in disgust.

Kids were often not the most important consideration.

Just wondered how others dealt with the situation or were even bothered by it.

Sometimes it's pretty sad!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-20-2008).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online