SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#88160 - 04/29/09 09:01 AM Played 7 jobs with the Ibanez Montage....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Guitar players, check these things out! Great for "grab and go" jobs. I love the on-board effects and the capability to blend piezo and magnetic sounds.

I'm using it for all my patio jobs this summer. At just $735.00 for the axe and a case, it's a bargain. Build quality is good. There are more expensive models than mine, but I didn't want gold plated hardware, which doesn't hold up for me very well, at least not playing outside all the time.

Pretty cool. I'm concerned about battery life. We'll see...Gotta love the new toys!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-29-2009).]

#88161 - 04/30/09 02:14 AM Re: Played 7 jobs with the Ibanez Montage....
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Gee, Russ that guitar looks like a lot of fun. How are the acoustic and straight electric sounds? Would it sound ok for a rock gig playing lead/rhythm as well as acoustic guitar parts? Is feedback a problem when running a distorted hi gain sound?

Are the digital effects of reasonable quality?

#88162 - 04/30/09 07:59 AM Re: Played 7 jobs with the Ibanez Montage....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Nigel, I'd have to think twice before using this thing as the only axe in a rock band. The feedback is controllable with a couple of notch filters. Placement of the non-conventional holes helps. The pick-up is in the position of the middle pick-up on a Strat, so you don't get the mellow jazz sound I like from a neck humbucker. The effects are only usable on the acoustic setting and the acoustic/electric combo. No speed adjustments on the effects, but they're pretty effective for a single act. The distortion on the magnetic only setting is pretty strong and adjustable via it's own front knob. It has a 2nd magnetic only out, and I used it with two cords...one thru a Fender Acoustic amp...the other thru a 1985 hand-wired Super Champ.

I have also used it as the only axe for outside patio gigs to replace a nylon string Godin and a 150 Guild. I put it into a new Jazzkat, which has an acoustic setting. This gives me a tube pre-amp and all the on-board effects. Sound is a little bright for my tastes, but OK. As a "OMB" guitar, it's pretty interesting.

Wish you lived closer-I'd let you try it on a job or two!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-30-2009).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online