SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#88285 - 08/14/09 05:16 PM Captain Russ: a true friend
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Fellow Synthzoners,

Allow me this opportunity to say how much I value Russ. I draw a very distinctive line between acquaintances and friends and Russ is definitely on the latter side. Although he has never met my wife and son, he genuinely cares for them. My wife often asks how he's doing, especially after what's happened to him. While my son's still too young to understand who Russ is, he does refer to him as Uncle Russ (for the moment it's still Uncle Luss...those darn r-sounds). Some day he'll realize what a great person Uncle Russ is. I'll make sure of that.

Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4, ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.

Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long time, you learn about the character of your friend.

(This can be used positively to praise a true friend; or negatively to criticize friends that could not stand a test.) In this case it's only too transparent which meaning refers to Russ.

Taike

#88286 - 08/14/09 08:13 PM Re: Captain Russ: a true friend
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Taike,
You voice the sentiments that many of us here echo
Bebop

#88287 - 08/14/09 08:50 PM Re: Captain Russ: a true friend
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
Taike,
You voice the sentiments that many of us here echo
Bebop

And what a lovely echo it is.

#88288 - 08/15/09 12:42 PM Re: Captain Russ: a true friend
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Taike is not only my friend, but I admire him. Talk about a real renissance man! He lives in an area with a rich, complex, historical culture. He is literate in many languages and has an understanding of cultures and peoples that you can only gain by "being there". He's a devoted dad and father, and is certainly in the top group of intellects I've know in my life.

He's a educator, who, unlike many I've known, is doing it to teach and enlighten others. He supports those who need the help. He supports Monks from his area...certainly an admirable gesture and an indication of his character.

"Da Dude", his son, "Little Wolf" is going to be a fine man with the loving help of his fine parents.

The amaising thing is, he's a lifetime friend I wouldn't have met had we not been here on the "zone". He's thousands of miles away; yet he's on my "short list" of favorite lifetime acquaintences.

I so look forward to his messages. The last few had beautiful photos of Laos, his family and other interesting things from his part of the world.

Taike...a person of real substance...an increasingly hard characteristic to find.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-15-2009).]

#88289 - 08/16/09 01:02 AM Re: Captain Russ: a true friend
Taike Offline

Thank you for your kind words, Russ. This thread, however, is not about me but you.

Your deeds and good-heartedness often come up in conversations with monks and novices.

One of the many aspects I admire about you is HOW and WHY you give. In my opinion, giving and sharing are not one and the same and it's in the latter that you really shine. Giving stops the moment it has taken place. It's a completed action. Sharing, on the other hand, is a continuous action. That's how I think of you, a sharer.

True philanthropism is not about making headlines, expecting praise and pats on the shoulder. You're a knight in shining armor who doesn't seek recognition but takes unselfish pleasure in doing good deeds.

You give praise to your friends when appropriate and set them straight when called for. These are traits of a true friend. Who wouldn't wish to be a friend of yours?

Another aspect I admire is your musical convictions. To play only what you do best and can give your best. It's often been misunderstood and seen as you looking down on certain styles of music. This is far from the truth, though. It's a known fact that you're not a fan of Country. Yet, it doesn't take away the fact that you've shown admiration for those that perform Country. If I'm not mistaken -and correct me if I'm wrong- you've spoken nothing but praise in favor of such performers as DomM and others. In short, you're not an elitist.

Some day I wish to have a baci in honor of you. While you may not attend in person, you'll definitely be there in spirit.

Kudos to you, my friend.

Respectfully,

Taike

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 08-16-2009).]

#88290 - 08/17/09 01:03 PM Re: Captain Russ: a true friend
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Russ is one of SZoners that I learned to admire through posts, reply es and actions.
He is a kind of person that I still want to meet someday.
Chico

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online