SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88501 - 11/03/09 08:13 AM A meassage from Paul
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Hi, to everyone here on the SZ. Haven't posted in a while. But every now and then I like to thorugh something up. I have had to cut back on my spending, as I have been spending a lot of money. Not on myself personally, but on bill's. The two biggest being my Mortgage, and paying off my HVAC. This past July, I had a new Heat Pump System installed, as my old system had died. Also, since I did not have the money to pay the whole thing off at once. I have been financeing it. Ah, the joy's of home ownership. This plus a few other bill's and some extra spending. Kind of wiped me out. My parent's were grasious enough, to give me some money, to help me out. Also, I managed to get some extra money from a sub savings account. I had trhough my credit union. So that helped, and now I am back on top. So to speak. One thing I have learned, is, that it's best. To check my balance with my checking account reguarlly. So I know how much money I have. So until, I pay off my HVAC. Buying a new computer, and a new car have to be put on hold.

On the music front, I'll try not to repeate myslef. As I have a tendency to do that. I really haven't done much. The most I have done, was start reading keyboard magazine again. It's one of the few magazines, that I actually do read. More now, than I did in the past. I still check out sonicstate.com to see what's new in the music world.

As for my antique phonograph hobby. My lattest aqquistion, was a new phonograph cabinet. My collection of 78's has grwon to the point. Where, my last two cabinets, became filled. I'll post a pic of it.

Also, I have a Facebook account, so if anyone is interested in becomeing frineds on there. Just look up my name. Paul Kondig.

Well, that's all for now. I'll post againg. See you soon.

Paul

#88502 - 11/03/09 08:33 AM Re: A meassage from Paul

Here is my new cabinet. Please note, the victrola is no longer on the cabinet. It has been returned to it's orginal stand.

Paul

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 11-03-2009).]

#88503 - 11/03/09 08:37 AM Re: A meassage from Paul

Here is the cabinet open.

#88504 - 11/05/09 06:50 AM Re: A meassage from Paul
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Hi Paul,

Those are some nice cabinets you got there. I haven't seen such cabinets for ages.

I'm actually wondering about the books you have. They look like collectibles. What are they about? I love books. Can't go a day without reading.

Thanks for stepping in. Always nice to hear from you.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#88505 - 11/05/09 04:58 PM Re: A meassage from Paul

Well, there just books I picked up here and there. Mostly from the 19th century. The large one's are from the 18th century, 1741. "Chambers Cyclopedia" Collection of Voayge's Vol. I & II , and Geography of the world. Vol. I & II.

#88506 - 11/05/09 08:54 PM Re: A meassage from Paul
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by analogcontrolfreak:
Well, there just books I picked up here and there. Mostly from the 19th century. The large one's are from the 18th century, 1741. "Chambers Cyclopedia" Collection of Voayge's Vol. I & II , and Geography of the world. Vol. I & II.

Collection of Voayge's Vol. I & II: Is this the one:

Robert Kerr (writer)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other persons named Robert Kerr, see Robert Kerr (disambiguation).
Robert Kerr FRS (1755 October 11, 1813) was a scientific writer and translator from Scotland.

Kerr was born in Roxburghshire as the son of a jeweller. He studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh and practised at the Edinburgh Foundling Hospital as a surgeon. He translated several scientific works into English, such as Antoine Lavoisier's Trait lmentaire de Chimie in 1789. In 1792, he published The Animal Kingdom, the first two volumes of a four-tome translation of Linnaeus' Systema Naturae, which is often cited as the taxonomic authority for a great many species. (He never did the remaining two volumes.)

In 1794 he left his post as a surgeon to manage a paper mill. He lost much of his fortune with this enterprise. Out of economical necessity he began writing again in 1809, publishing a variety of minor works, for instance a General View of the Agriculture of Berwickshire. His last work was a translation of Cuvier's Recherches sur les ossements fossiles de quadrupedes, which was published after Kerr's death under the title "Essays on the Theory of the Earth".

His other works included a massive historical study entitled A General History and Collection of Voyages and Travels in eighteen volumes. Kerr began the series in 1811, dedicating it to Sir Alexander Cochrane, K.B., Vice-Admiral of the White. Publication did not cease following Kerr's death in 1813; the latter volumes were published into the 1820s.

and this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephraim_Chambers

So what's the value -if I may inquire- of these books, Paul?

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#88507 - 11/06/09 04:41 PM Re: A meassage from Paul

Actually Taike, It's John Harris, D.D and FRS. London 1748.

As to the Value? I have no idea? As I have never had them appraised. They may not me worth too much, as I had them rebound, to protect them. They were a gift from my father.

Paul

#88508 - 11/08/09 09:01 PM Re: A meassage from Paul
124 Offline

Quite refreshing to see that gear from another era, makes a nice counterpoint to all the usual digi-talk around here. BTW, does that old Victrola have USB?

#88509 - 11/09/09 03:16 AM Re: A meassage from Paul

Here is my "Edison Amberola 30" 4 minute cylinder machine.

#88510 - 11/09/09 03:20 AM Re: A meassage from Paul

This is my "Edison Home Phonograph" 2 minute cylinder phonograph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online