SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#88843 - 04/28/10 12:14 PM Donny, up close and personal...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny and I have been talking on line about a guitar, and I called him the other day. Adjusting for my southern accent and his "Jersey twang", we quickly hit it off. The "net" is great, but there's nothing like talking to a real person in real time (except for a face-to-face visit, of course).

Here's a guy who's really passionate about what he does and thinks. And, he's not shy about sharing his opinions. He's about as different from me as any two people can be, in terms of music preferences, probably type of venues...on lots of fronts.

But, I'm looking forward to a time when we can visit for an extended period of time. My contacts with him have been courteous and enjoyable...so enjoyable, in fact that I'm going to resume random calls to members just to visit.

Uncle Dave said that Donny was cool, and he's right.

I'm glad to know him.

Russ

#88844 - 04/28/10 12:17 PM Re: Donny, up close and personal...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Are you talking about Donny Pesce? ......

#88845 - 04/28/10 12:27 PM Re: Donny, up close and personal...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ, I don't believe "face to face" anyone on SZ, would be anything but friends...Disagreements with the written word...gets out of hand..quickly....Face to face, we all get a better read of the other person..

I can count on three fingers ..people I dislike...all 3 are convicted felons, serving life sentences for murdering 2 (innocent) young girls, and another a murder of a young man (my cousin)...all separate incidents....

I am not to fond of the people responsible for the 911 attack too..(Another cousin died there)..

Sorry to get off track, but I think you see my point...

#88846 - 04/28/10 01:17 PM Re: Donny, up close and personal...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Soooooo, Fran likes everybody. Now if only we could find somebody that likes him .

Kidding, Fran......mostly. Seriously though, I like Fran and I'm sure we'd be friends if we had personal contact. Why do I think that? Because we share the same interest in, and passion about, music, instruments, musical technology, and let's not forget, the ladies. Plus, beneath that gruff exterior, I think he's just an ol' softy who would probably help anyone that needed it. Now if only I could get him to play with proper syncopation (ehhh, probably too much time in South Philly and not enough in North Philly , plus, that accordion background is damn hard to overcome ). If I ever come up to Philly, we are definitely going to meet at Cintioli's (Fran, come alone and unarmed). Lunch will be on me.

chas

#88847 - 04/28/10 01:45 PM Re: Donny, up close and personal...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran, I guess I'm not as nice a guy as you. I know lots of jerks and don't like them at all. Some are college presidents, US Senators, very rich business people and lots of others who have crossed the ethical line (hard to define, but pretty firm for most people; at least, for me).

I'll do everything I can for nice folks, but nothing at all for the jerks who, sadly, I find to be increasing in numbers.

I'm talking about people like the three lawyers from here in town who screwed 200 people out of $120 million of their Phen Phen settlement...people like a neighbors son who just got caught stealing most of his grandfathers retirement fund...the insurance agent/relative I have who was convicted of selling black lung coverage policies to Kentucky miners (the policy/product didn't exist)...the former school mate/mayor/US Senator who had his mother declared incompetent so he could control a large piece of commercial rental property...a tire dealer/former employer who periodically gets caught and fined for selling customers unneeded auto repairs...a local college president/investment expert/ordained minister
who sucks up to the board of Regents and lies to, intimidates and manipulates student and faculty/staff...then really sweats in his effort to keep those involved apart (he's been caught and fired by his own church...TWICE)!...or the kid who cut me recently and may have ended my playing career.

The list is long and, sadly, growing.

But, you're right. This is a good group of folks and I really enjoy my contacts with
them...especially my favorites...Chas, Don, Fred, Diki, Uncle Dave, Nigel, Rory...everyone I've met and had contact with.

That "good guy" list now includes Donny.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-29-2010).]

#88848 - 05/28/10 07:31 PM Re: Donny, up close and personal...
Dnj Offline

Russ it was my long awaited pleasure to talk to you on the phone also. Thank you for your assistance in auditioning the Hohner Acoustic Guitar. I also would love to get together for an extended visit & it may be possible in the future...as it was when I flew down to Louisiana and met & played with Don Mason, Joe Lee, Hank Bowman may he rest in peace and so many great fellow musicians. Russ I appreciate our friendship mucho!

Fran Carango is my VERY special BEST friend in my life and has always been there for me for whatever & whenever without question & that to me is what a real FRIEND is all about. And this also goes for Uncle Dave Boyd also who has given me inspiration, techniques and musical knowledge that I will never forget.

Gary Diamond (Mr. Wizard) who to this day has helped me in so many ways thru the years I can't count. In our many get togethers either here on the Jersey Shore or in Maryland are times I will always remember and hope to have many more in the future.

I also want to thank Dan O for all of his friendship, hospitality, and musical assistance way above the call of duty thru the years not to mention all the great CRAB dinners we've had together also..lol

James(Irisacts)I cannot thank enough and I appreciate beyond belief how he has helped me with my website and numerous technicle issues & questions I've come across in ways that even I can understand....Thank you Sir!

Prince AJ has also been there for me during my Ketron years and we've always had a great time together.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting Tony Mads, & Tom Cavanagh at my Dance clubs also. Joe Ayalla, Bill Semilive, Steve Molinar, Ian, Mike Sutliff, and so many more friends I'm glad to have made.
I hope to meet many more in the future also.

Nigel I thank you for the opportunity thru all the years that makes it all possible.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-29-2010).]

#88849 - 05/30/10 08:31 AM Re: Donny, up close and personal...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I coulda told you all that.
I had the dubious pleasure of "introducing" DNJ to Uncle Dave, even though I'd never met either of them.
My first contact with Donny was when I sold him a Technics keyboard, many years ago, maybe 1997. I asked him by email if he had come across Uncle Dave, because they both lived in the same general area. He looked him up and the rest is history.
When I first got a Solton X1, it arrived about 3 in the afternoon. I had a job at 7:00. I called Dave and he said not to worry, just take it to the job and I could figure it out easily. That made sense to me because I could do that with Yamaha boards. WRONG!
The operating system made no sense whatsoever. I finally dug out a handful of styles that I could use and played the entire four hours with a 4/4, shuffle, waltz, 2/4 and 6/8 style. I brought that baby home and it didn't leave again for about two weeks while I figured it out. As awesome as the X1 sounded, compared to everything else that was out at the time, it was anything but user-friendly until you figured it out. I called Dave back after the job, and he laughed his head off. Unfortunately, it grew back.
Back to friends. I miss by friend HankB so much. When the phone doesn't ring at 10 every morning, I know it's not him calling as usual. Cherish your friends because they can leave at any time.
DonM

#88850 - 05/30/10 10:40 AM Re: Donny, up close and personal...
Dnj Offline

Don no truer words were ever spoken. Hank was bigger then life and the man had a heart as pure as gold. After 20 minutes first time we met in LA I felt like we knew each other for years. Eatin' Shrimp Po Boys, talking old musician stories about his days playing on the "Louisiana Hay Ride" shows etc, etc, and having the honer jamming on stage together will remain in my heart forever! ..I'm glad I had the chance to be together with all of you southern boyz....& I hope to do it again down the road again, jam or no jam!
As for Don Mason...what can I say?....
I love You Man!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-30-2010).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online