SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#91595 - 03/11/06 01:58 AM My new software setup!
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I finally worked out the issues with my laptop. I did a complete reformat/reinstall then I used XPLite from LitePC to "diet" XP down in size. I removed everything I didn't need, and installed the demo for OMB8 along with my Hypersonic 2 XXL and MIDI-Yoke. Then I hooked up both my P-250 and my DGX-305 through USB. Amazingly having both connected at the same time is actually working now, it didn't before. And the sounds are amazing! The GM Library of Hypersonics GM4 module is great, but I've found that most styles from my DGX uses the same channels for Bass, guitar, piano, pad etc. so I have managed to save different band setups (Jazz quintet, rock band, modern pop etc.) with instruments using the entire hypersonic library. And boy does this sound good!

I've posted a short demo so you can hear! This is using my Jazz quintet setting, using the XXL Acoustic bass, Jazz drums, GM Jazz guitar, Jazz organ and a rhodes piano for the solo. this sounds lightyears ahead of my dgx, at least in my opinion

Just pay attention to the sound, not the playing It was done in just one take with no editing or cheating...
http://espen.stua.biz/fly-me-to-the-moon.mp3

I would love to hear sound samples of other peoples software setups!

Doc-Z

#91596 - 03/11/06 05:20 AM Re: My new software setup!
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Doc-Z, it is good to see you using your version of a software based arranger system....Doc-Z2006. It sounds very good .... you are way ahead of me. I may as well disappear into my closet and watch the rest of the world pass me by.

As you test even higher quality software based acoustic instruments you will be even more certain of your approach to music making.

Good luck!!!

#91597 - 03/11/06 10:51 AM Re: My new software setup!
doc-z Offline

Thanks man, I'm still curious to hear what your setup sounds like. Your posts on your own software based arranger system made me want one myself So get out of that closet!

Doc-Z

#91598 - 03/11/06 07:47 PM Re: My new software setup!
doc-z Offline

I've posted another demo on my site. This is using the Frankly Soul style from the Yamaha Tyros. I used OMB to play the style, triggering chords with my DGX-305. Sounds are comming from HyperSonic.
http://espen.stua.biz/souldemo.mp3

I think it sounds pretty good! Man you should hear this through my PA, sounds like the Blues Brothers are playing in my apartment!

Doc-Z

#91599 - 03/12/06 04:49 AM Re: My new software setup!

Doc-Z, your examples using Hypersonic 2 sound very good indeed. Does Hypersonic respond to program change commands coming from the styles or midi files? How about effects such as reverb and chorus? What do you think of Steinberg's Dongle world?

I have some of Steinberg's stuff, Voice Machine, Cubase and VStack. I may have to invest in Hypersonic given your examples. I am still hoping all the things with NI's Bandstand will be enhanced including quality of the sounds and loading times in response to program changes.

#91600 - 03/12/06 05:52 AM Re: My new software setup!
doc-z Offline

If you have the GM-4 gm library or Hypersonic 2, it responds great to program change messages. Then you have to switch on GM mode, and only the GM patches are available, switch off GM mode and all patches are available, but then you need to assign program changes to the correct banks. But it works great, but the great thing is that you can edit the patches while playing back a style, then save that to a bank file, then switch off program change messages from your midi software, and now you can load your "band" setups the way you want. You can also setup your own GM bank using the patches you like best, and use that as the GM bank recieveing program changes. The possibilites are endles. The dongle actually works good for me, not had any problems yet. I've found that running the stand alone version of Hypersonic gives me much better performance than using a host application, latency is as good as zero, and it switches lightning fast. It's like having a Motif synth with arranger capabilites, it's great! The flexibility and ease of use, combined with great sounding sounds, that are in my opinion way ahead in some places from many of todays hardware units makes HyperSonic 2 worth every penny!

Doc-Z

#91601 - 03/12/06 06:07 AM Re: My new software setup!
doc-z Offline

The only downside is that the pianos take a while to get used to.. They are great sounding, and cut through a mix quite well. But they are all in the style of a Steinway grand piano, so if you are a Yamaha piano fan, with punchier mids and crips highs you may feel the pianos in Hypersonic a bit dull. But with some tweaking and adaption you get used to them. I still haven't gotten a good blues sound out of it, but I'm still learning, the editing capabilities are vast.

Effects both reverb and chorus respond to midi controller events, you may also use other effects, 4 per track, and 4 global effects, all things in Hypersonic can be controlled through midi events, using the "Learn" function you can assign different controllers to different things..

It may seem that I'm working for Steinberg, but I don't Maybe I should apply to work as a "Hypersonic Arranger Demo Guy"

Doc-Z

#91602 - 03/12/06 06:42 AM Re: My new software setup!

Doc-Z, that's very good news indeed. I will haul out my Visa and acquire Hypersonic 2.

Thanks for quick and kind reponse.

#91603 - 03/12/06 01:57 PM Re: My new software setup!
doc-z Offline

I've managed to create a usable Megavoice Steel guitar to use with the Tyros styles in Hypersonic. It needs a bit more tweaking to sound as good as the Tyros, but it's kinda cool to be able to create a sound that is usable with the megavoice styles. I'm hoping to be able to mimic all the Megavoices, but for now I just made an acoustic steel guitar. Listen to this demo:
http://espen.stua.biz/megavoice.mp3

Yeah I know it needs some tweaking, those slides and hammers take a while to get right, but I'm getting there

Doc-Z

#91604 - 03/12/06 03:23 PM Re: My new software setup!
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
I've spent the weekend playing with Band in a box 2006. Got a little frustrated with it at times and I hate the fact that you can't seem to use it in 'real time' play.

I played the demo of one man band v8.0 and this seems to let you play in real time using my synth to change chords. Still it cuts out after thirty seconds because it is a demo. I am thinking of buying the prog if it does what I want it to.

Still I like very much some of the features on BIAB like the ability to record a vocal line and how you can export to midi so easily. I love the tc helicon harmony feature for the vocals as well. Very swish!

Am I missing something or will BIAB definately not work in real time? (Like OMB does).

I am going to check out Jammer live and I assume by the name that I will be able to use it in real time?

Sorry for all the questions but I am green when it comes to this subject (and not just this subject truth be told ). I was going to go out and buy an arranger to compliment my Roland Synth (and probably still will) but for now I am happy exploring these new possibilities!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Best wishes
Tony

Just in case it makes a difference I am using the Roland synth hooked up to the mixer and then to the pc via m-audio audiophile card and also using the synth as the midi sound engine (GM2).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online