Eric & all,
I too agree that standing height is preferred for MAXIMUM exposure to the audience. Eric, I FULLY understand the tricky dilemma you are refering to. I personally utilize both a "4 pedal" foot controller unit (to trigger fills 1/2, intro/endings) as well as an additional single pedal unit (to trigger panel memory incremental changes: AABA parts of the song). I've figured out a standing height solution which works well when I perform. I situate the keyboard at full standing height but then use a TALL stool so I am able to sort of rest my butt against it for support which enables me to STILL use both my right and left feet to trigger the foot switches as needed. This is sort of a part standing/leaning-sitting position. Now you can perform without falling flat on your face

For even MORE exposure & PROFESSIONLISM (if no stage is present), I use a platform riser and portable stage lights. For full effect, I add my stand up backup band 'cut-outs'. You can check my website for a picture of my band http://scottyee.com

BTW, I also contructed a simple thin (1/4") lightweight plywood platform which sits on the floor and is kept into place by the keyboard stand's legs. This platform is used to secure BOTH the "4-pedal" foot controller and single pedal foot controller units in place (keeping them from moving). This way, the pedals will ALWAYS be EXACTLY where you remembered them (via touch. No
peeking ok?, remember, you got to KEEP your eyes on your audience. Before coming up with the foot pedal holder platform, the pedals used to slide around and invariably distract my attention away from the audience!

Hope my suggestions help, - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-11-2001).]