Interesting to see this topic re-surface after a year and a half. I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments and perspectives. Though I agree that standing (while leaning against a high stool) provides better audience visability (stage presence) as well as vocals (increased diaphramatic breathing), I now prefer performing sitting down, with my weight FIRMLY CENTERED on a normal chair height stool. Attempting to play and also activate footpedals with your right & left feet (like I do) can result in foot & lower back pain, because your body weight is constantly being shifted from one leg to the other. After having spent considerable time playing while standing (even leaning againest a tall stool) and then getting lower back aches, I now prefer sitting on a normal height stool, especially for longer gigs. The audience seems to be as happy as before, and more importantly, my feet & lower back feel a whole lot better now. I guess the bottom line is: do what FEELS BEST to YOU. Afterall, you're going to give your best when you FEEL the BEST!

Scott