I can never really judge the sounds on a demo, or how the keyboard will work for me. I switched to the PA80 from the Yamaha PSR740 / MZ 2000 only after I played one. The first thing that struck me was that I liked the feel of the keys better than the PSR line ( MZ had a good key feel ..no I'm not trying to open up this can of worms again. just my preference and taste is all )
The next thing was that the styles sounded rich and the organs and electric pianos were much to my liking. The acoustic piano really wasn't, but the first two are more my staples. The bass and drums were strong too compared to the 740 / MZ. Then I saw all the editing power and I was sold.

Had I not had the chance to demo the board, I wouldn't have a PA80 now. I wouldn't ever consider buying something that I can't touch first , especially from overseas( exception to the Motif ES.. but coming from the Motif classic I just knew it was gonna be right.. and still I tried it before I bought it )

Today, the Tyros and even the PSr2k / 2100 have better sounds and styles than the Yamaha stuff I was used to. I just never felt comfortable with the key feel on the latter. Great sounds and features packed in though, and with the ES in my studio, the ability to morph and tweak sounds to my hearts content becomes less an issue on my arranger. I doubt I'll get to see a PA1x around here... and that's too bad because I really still do like my PA80 and would love to see it's successor, but when it comes to my next arranger purchase, the Tyros or what follows it seems to be the where I may have to go. Not that that's a bad thing.....

AJ