I don't consider karaoke, utilizing midi backing tracks, or utilizing arranger styles cheating in and of itself.

The only thing I don't like about many of the commercially produced backing tracks is that typically (and often unsuccesfully) attempt to emulate the hit artist's cover version arrangement of the song.

Except for a few obligitory audience dance tunes (where I'll call upon midi/mp3 backing) that demand sounding exactly like the recording (right down to the bass line & expected instr riffs), I prefer playing & singing in arranger mode as it offers the creative freedom to improvise & add a fresh interpretation & twist to my music, yet still allows me the option to preserve the overall feel (groove) of the original song if desired.

Karaoke parties can be fun amateur entertainment, but for pro level musical performance demands, I feel arranger mode playing offers far more creative flexibility to make our music & songs stand out as our own.

The only kind of music performance cheating I detest is "audience deception" ei: tricking the audience into thinking you're playing the keys when you're merely pretending to play them (with the keys muted), and the piano/keyboard solo supplied by the backing track (MP3/Midi) instead. I feel the same way about lip syncing singers.

Scott