First of all... Welcome to Groundhog Day - again!

Secondly, I might point out that at those Vegas shows, you don't see someone PRETENDING to play a keyboard. The backing is flown in for the singers and dancers, and when they do BOTH, the singing is often flown in - you don't think you can run around like a madman and sing accurately at the same time? But even THAT is frowned upon even in Vegas when it is a 'headliner' doing the lip-syncing.

Use an arranger for this purpose, while you sing OR dance for your audience, chicken hat or not, and there is no 'cheating'. Your audience can see what they are getting.

It is when the majority of what they are hearing LOOKS like you are playing it, but you are not. That's dishonest.. IMO. OF COURSE they know the bass and drums are tracks... there's no drummer, and no bassist. But if the large majority of what they are hearing is tracks, and you are just playing a solo (if that!), you at least ought to be upfront with them. Or at least accept your 'karaoke' tag with grace..

There's nothing wrong with karaoke at all... as long as you admit you are doing it (even if only to yourself!). Traditional karaoke needs NO admission, because it is one singer, in front of a TV screen, with no instruments anywhere. The audience knows full well what they are getting, and, in truth, are expected to join in, not sit back and accept it as traditional 'entertainment'. It is the modern day equivalent of the 'pub sing-along'. The fun comes from joining in, not just watching!

But leave the vast majority of your show to a machine, while you play a minimalist part (if anything), and where, exactly, IS the difference between you and karaoke?

Do a LOT more, play everything you possibly can, use as little of the machine backing as you can humanly get away with, and for starters, the audience will SEE you playing that, as long as you don't hide away behind a shield of equipment, stands and laptop screens! Show them it IS you, and no-one will EVER come up and say you are 'cheating'. They never have to me, at least

I think a lot of the rancor comes from players that DO use a majority of machine backing, but would still LIKE to be considered 'players', at least on a forum full of arranger players that perhaps quite a LOT of them are skilled regular 'players' also. My take on this is basically just be comfortable with what you do, be honest about it's differences with traditional playing, and don't go looking for acceptance in a field that you don't actually participate in. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with what you are doing, NOTHING wrong with the field you ARE in, it just isn't 'player'...

It's 'entertainer', or maybe they just don't have a word for it, yet, it being so new. I don't know. But trust me, for those that CAN play without machines, for those that DO play the majority of what the audience hears, for those that DON'T pantomime the Intros (or anything at all), they are VERY aware that what you are doing is NOT what we are doing, and probably dislike it being called the same thing! I personally don't have a problem with anything you DO, but don't try to persuade me that you are doing the same thing!

That's all.

All we have in common is the TOOL we use for our particular skills, not the skill itself. You can use a screwdriver as an electrician, and you can use a screwdriver as a plumber. But if you are an electrician, DON'T try to persuade a plumber that you are one too, just because you have a screwdriver as well! You pretty much KNOW what that will get you!

One last thing... Before you rush out to hit that 'Reply' button, and start to castigate me, DON'T assume that when I say 'YOU' I am addressing YOU personally. It's the correct form of address to a 'General' forum, the plural of 'YOU' (don't you LOVE English!).

But it IS a reply to those that think that there is NO distinction between ANY form of entertainment, and everyone should be labeled the same. I don't want anyone turning up at my shows, expecting to see karaoke. They might actually WANT it, and I would hate to see them disappointed! Be proud of what you do, and don't try to label it something it is NOT. Find a label that is different (because it IS different) and be proud of that. If you don't like 'karaoke', invent one for yourselves...

Then be proud of THAT, and defend it from others that call themselves it, but are something else altogether...

You know, the 'Circle of Strife'... (thank you, Elton John)
-----------------------------------------------
Now, can you see your shadow...?