800dv:
I'm assuming you're calling the invention of the phonograph (in 1877) as the beginning of electronic music. However, for nearly a century, the use of "electronics" with music was about preserving accoustic or electrically-amplified performance. Distorting or rearranging those recordings, or synthetically generating sounds electronically, for the porpose of making new sounds and new musical expressions, began in earnest only in the 1960's (and, not incidently, substantially outside of the world of popular music).

As for "leaving one's mark..." Although I'm also a great believer in live performance, I'm afraid MRT1212 and I seriously part company on the "non-anonymous" point - it's a pet peeve of mine, so pardon while I indulge myself . . .

Most of today's "music" is about celebrity, recognition, and profit. The actual writing and performing of music is a caboose on that train. My attitude is that music posted on a website as free download is one of the most sincere forms of artistic endeavor, since the artist is giving of himself purely for the purpose of musical expression and pleasure without concern for or interest in whether the appeal is broad enough to generate self-serving celebrity or profitability.

My ideal in musical success is a former insurance account executive by the name of Charles Ives, who wrote in obscurity (and at night) for much of his life. His music was revolutionary, idiosyncratic, and personal. His eventual recognition was one brought on by the sheer force and quality of that music as promoted by other composers and performers who recognized it. Comparing his stature and contribution to Moby's is a little like comparing the importance of Edison's invention of the phonograph to the invention of the 8-track tape player.