SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191863 - 09/05/07 12:12 PM New iPOD is released....................
Dnj Offline

#191864 - 09/05/07 12:45 PM Re: New iPOD is released....................
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Yep, Steve Jobs rolled out the news right here in downtown San Francisco today.

I definitely like the idea of the Itouch because I appreciated all the features of the iPhone except for the phone part itself, but even with the new enhanced 16GB flash memory it's still pretty limiting for video storage. I do like the iTouch WiFi capability for accessing the internet at Hotspots & piggybacking to my home wireless wifi DSL modem around the house and out in the yard, but because it doesn't include a phone, wondering if you can still connected to my cell phone (AT&T) carrier's data network via Edge or better: new 3G HSDPA ? Time to run down to my Apple Store and check this baby out. - Scott

#191865 - 09/05/07 12:50 PM Re: New iPOD is released....................
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
With the new iTouch no need to buy an iPhone. On the flip side MS has lowered the price of the Zune by $50. to $199 in anticipation of the new iPod line up.

#191866 - 09/05/07 01:11 PM Re: New iPOD is released....................
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I am jealous you have an Apple store downtown, Scott. Nothing within a days travel here in the South.

But I got to say, so far, I am disappointed at how small the storage is, compared to 80GB and even 160GB iPod Classics.

TEN times the storage (160GB vs. 16GB) for LESS money...

I think I'll 'Think Different'....

#191867 - 09/05/07 02:49 PM Re: New iPOD is released....................
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I am jealous you have an Apple store downtown, Scott. Nothing within a days travel here in the South.

Hey Diki, don't want you any more jealous, but we actually, in addition to an Apple Store in Emeryville (which is less than 10 minutes from where I live (Berkeley), got a total of 9
Apple Stores (count'em) right here in the San Francisco Bay Area . Apple products ROCK here! YEAH! I love my 80 GB vid-iPod and as an early Mac fan from childhood, seriously thinking of getting an Intel Mac now. I used to do music runnng Logic - awesome Mac program. btw: Would love to hear about how you use yours? What OS & music programs etc. - Scott

#191868 - 09/05/07 03:56 PM Re: New iPOD is released....................
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I'm waiting for the dust to settle with all my plug-ins, and C4 to mature, and still figuring out what to do with my 2 UAD-1 cards (integral to my workflow), before I make the plunge to a MacPro.

Currently, I'm stone-age... G4 Quicksilver733, MOTU 2408MkII, 2 UAD-1 cards, Mackie HR824 speakers, and Cubase VST 5.2pb as the main sequencer, and Nuendo 1.6 (I think) for mixing (love the automation!).

It seems prehistoric, but will happily track 24 tracks at a time from the MOTU, and playback 48 or more comfortably. The UAD cards are a life saver, doing reverb and high quality compressors and EQ without hitting the CPU. But primarily, it is stable, few crashes, and I can fly around on it...! (I am toying with upgrading it to a dual 1.8 G4 just to keep VST5 working).

The studio is a bit fancier (that I work at)... SSL, ProTools HD, Apogee converters, B&W monitors, two REAL LA2A's, two REAL 1176's (no UAD stuff here!) and Manley Slam and Massive Passives and hardware L2 for mastering. Plus a boatload of other toys... BIG FUN!

I've been on Mac OS for ten years or so (since a Starmax clone, later upgraded to a G3/300 processor) and before that, Atari ST4 (to run the earliest forms of Cubase).

But I have NEVER had a PC, and, after trying to troubleshoot some friend's systems, I will NEVER get one. If I need Windows, I'll use Parallels on the MacPro...

But no store closer than Birmingham (5hrs) or Atlanta (6hrs) to take a peek at the new stuff You are a lucky man...

#191869 - 09/05/07 04:14 PM Re: New iPOD is released....................
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
before that, Atari ST4 (to run the earliest forms of Cubase)

Yeah, I too owned an Atari 1040ST, my first computer dedicated to music , but running C-Lab Notator . Both Notator & Cubase the premiere midi programs of it's day. I still think Atari computers could have remained the PREMIERE computer for music as I always thought the Computer 'timing capabilites" better than Mac & PC both. After the demise of Atari, I finally settled on the Mac a second alternative, but enjoyed the power of Notator's sucessor: Logic, and then later, Logic Audio, and now partnered with Apple. I'm still belileve Logic Audio the most powerfully flexible software for midi music production, but had to go to the dark side after realizing that so much of the 3rd software for music is only available on the Windows Platform. Now that Mac are now intel based, I may be going back to Mac again. We'll see. Now if only the Atari platform could be re-surrected again. oh well. - Scott.

#191870 - 09/05/07 11:00 PM Re: New iPOD is released....................
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Yeah, I too owned an Atari 1040ST, my first computer dedicated to music , but running C-Lab Notator .

I still have that program for the ST in the original plastic case with the manual but I bet the floppy disk doesn't work after all these years. But the dongle would still work fine.

#191871 - 09/05/07 11:52 PM Re: New iPOD is released....................
Scottyee Offline

Apple " Ipod Touch " Demo Presentation:

Large Screen Version: click Here
Medium Screen Version: click Here
Small Small Version: click Here

Scott

#191872 - 09/06/07 05:15 AM Re: New iPOD is released....................
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I don't understand why the iPod Touch only has 8 gig storage on it as an MP3 / video Player? Is that a typo or something. I have 30 gig on my Archos 604 and I'm out of space on it????

------------------
Al Giordano
www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online