SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#326152 - 06/08/11 10:08 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: kbrkr]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Frans what is your obsession with countering every friggin conversation with an anti-tyros sentiment? I get that you don't like the keyboard. Who Cares?

I owned a Pa2xpro. I wanted to love it. I wanted to see Korg come out with a better keyboard. I'm trying to analyze what they did come out with.

Give it a friggin' rest will ya?

Hey the one who is always bashing Korg is you and if someone is saying something about your precious Tyros you got angry. You are a big hypocrite. Get a life. I also read your Korg bashings on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfI-kw1SGlk

#326156 - 06/08/11 10:40 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: Scottyee]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Scott

The best way I can describe it, is that the T4 musicians are like a classical orchestra where everything is finely balanced, whereas the Korg is like a Jazz Band where it’s still a combined band, but with more individualism. (Which you prefer is all down to personal preference)

Hi Ian

I will be surprised if you can’t hear the difference between the PA2x and PA 3x when played live, as it stood out to everyone that attended the club.

Hi Al

The sound engine of all the PA series is based on the Korg Triton Sound Engine, with each model having upgraded versions, just like the Yamaha AWM sound engine has been upgraded over time to the T4 level.

BTW The Speaker system Daniel was using, were 2 x Bose L1 with Subs

Hope this answers your question.

Bill

#326157 - 06/08/11 10:51 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks Bill...I'm looking forward to playing it, but, no sign of them around my area.

Ian

#326160 - 06/08/11 11:55 AM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: ianmcnll]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Saswick

Yes, I have talked with Miden.

He wrote to me, and I quote verbatim, "Now that I have had the PA3 for a couple of hours, the sound, whilst not QUITE at the T4 level, is very very close to the T4."

I thought the same thing with some of the sounds, but I still find the overall Korg sound, one-dimensional, as do several others...mind you, this is from listening on-line. "Hands on" may change opinions, and then, it may not.

The OS systems are basically something one really likes or finds cumbersome. Dennis preferred the Korg, as he is already very familiar with that system, so that is hardly surprising.

Some find Yamaha OS more intuitive, and some like Korg.

It was great to hear Dennis's impressions, but we still need more "hands on" reports, in my opinion.

Ian

Wasn't going to post again, but some clarification is needed...

I was talking about individual sounds being very VERY close to the Tyros 4. The T4 still shades the PA3 especially with the SA sounds. As for the rest (as in non SA, and non DNC/Rx) both keybaords are about the same, with the PA shading the T4.

On the overall sound (as in what comes out the front as a total package) the PA3 is better than the T4, feels more in the moment, and some of the longer style sections available on the Korg do make a difference, less repetition.

However the actual style programming on the T4 is better, although the new styles on the PA3 are again very close. The legacy styles are not.

And there is still NOTHING that compares to the Songbook for live play work...all the guys who will quote the Yammie registration system, have obviously never SERIOUSLY worked with the Songbook!!

The T4, whilst sounding (again, overall "out front" sound - not individual instruments in isolation) more live and dynamic than its predecessors, I still found a bit too "balanced".

The WAVES audio tools package is very very good, as is the harmony/vocals engine from the TC Voice Live II series.

Chord sequencer is okay, but a bit awkward to use on the fly, especially when it requires the simultaneous pressing of two buttons (from a group of three) to start it, then pressing them again to stop the recording, and then another simultaneous press of a different two buttons (from the same group of three) to start it.

As a live tool I would have expected single dedicated tabs, as if you miss slightly the pressing of the buttons it doesn't start...I guess it's one a user will have to get used to, but Korg COULD have done this much better.

The keybed (76) is a brand new one and totally surprised me. It is much better than the PA2 and better than anything now on the market. Apart from the concave key top, even better than the G70.

Also they have upgraded all the panel buttons I think, as they all feel rather solid, and less "plasticky" than the PA2. They are also far better grouped for live play as well.

Righto that's about it for now. just wanted to clarify things a bit.

Dennis

#326162 - 06/08/11 12:28 PM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: miden]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Dennis, congratulations on getting a PA3X, and thanks for your balanced well presented review. smile
In all honestly, I pretty much knew all along that you wouldn't be entirely happy with the Tyros 4 that you initially purchased
because it lacks Korg's unique Songbook feature that you need,
so I'm very happy to discover that you've found a more compatible (for you) fit with the PA3X.

Originally Posted By: miden

Chord sequencer is okay, but a bit awkward to use on the fly, especially when it requires the simultaneous pressing of two buttons (from a group of three) to start it, then pressing them again to stop the recording, and then another simultaneous press of a different two buttons (from the same group of three) to start it.
Can the chord sequencer rec & stop/playback function simply be assigned to and triggered via a (single?) foot pedal instead? confused1

#326168 - 06/08/11 01:43 PM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: abacus]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yes, one pedal control for each command (ie one for start recording, one for play - I guess an alternate press stops recording, although I have not tested this as yet).
So the EC5 (optional extra purchase) would be needed. Although with the new Auto Fill In (on or off at the users choice), this means using the EC5 for fills would probably not be necessary, ergo freeing up a couple of the foot switches.

#326169 - 06/08/11 01:52 PM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: abacus]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Al, Samples are CRITICAl as well as programming all the parms....
So, the same sound engine is only a small piece of the pie.
Kurzweil has used basically the same sound engine for many years and gets SUPER new sounds each time around....using great samples & expeet sound engineers/ programming...

When I check out the PA3...I will be listening very carefully to the sounds.... as the PA2X had MANY bad sample issues.

If they used the same ones...I'm out of there!
(And I told them in Italy about every bad sound/sample 3 years ago...IN DETAIL)

#326171 - 06/08/11 02:18 PM Re: Pa1x, Pa2x, Pa3x, and T4 [Re: abacus]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
I have had both T2 and PA2 at the same time.
The OS thing is somewhat personal.
But, what I can tell you is the Yamaha Tx OS gets the job done and is nice in some ways...but if one wants the maximum flexibility and programming/editing the Korg is FAr superior...
Just depends on what you need.

This time I will go with which ever keyboard SOUNDS best to me for what I play...and the OS will just come along for the ride.
Also, I will pat close attention to the styles...I do not want only simple styles????

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online