SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#345282 - 06/02/12 04:50 AM Re: What was the last song you learned? What's next? [Re: 124]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dom have you tried this one by Jimmy Swaggart, it moves.

John C.

JESUS ON THE INSIDE

Oh what a change-- Oh what a change---
Oh what a change-- in my life---

Oh what a change--- Oh what a change---
Oh what a change-- in my life----

I got Jesus on the inside --- He’s moving on the outside
Bringin’ about a change-- in my life----
I got Jesus on the inside-- He’s moving on the outside--
Bringin’ about a change-- in my life----

#345283 - 06/02/12 05:05 AM Re: What was the last song you learned? What's next? [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
No new songs but another guitar player and I are getting deeper into One Note Samba, All the Things you are and Satin doll. We sing, play chords and play lead. All songs are memorized.

Yesterday we bought a bass; we will share playing the bass. There is no end to the fun music can bring.
Here is the amazing part; I am 80 and he is 86 and we sound great. (Sorry for self-praise) As we run through the fake book partner remembers the lyrics to every song we turn to; tell me about the fading mind.

Life is good, John C

#345285 - 06/02/12 06:05 AM Re: What was the last song you learned? What's next? [Re: montunoman]
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Great thread,

Just learned "Don't Take Your Love From Me" instrumental version by the Three Suns!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4qtwaF8fqM

Also having fun delving into the world of "Cleveland style polkas" a la Frankie Yankovic, Johnny Pecon et al.

I'm working on "Janez & Lojza Polka" and "Mary Lou Polka"

I've been playing accordion for 55 years and while I know and can play probably 20 or so of the most popular polkas, "beer barrel," "Clarinet Polka" etc, I don't consider myself a polka player.

Cleveland style is a whole nother genre for me! I'm even having one of my accordions retuned to get the particular "Cleveland style" sound.

I'll be 70 my next birthday and I'm still having a ball!
Keep playing

#345286 - 06/02/12 06:32 AM Re: What was the last song you learned? What's next? [Re: montunoman]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don,

That must have been right after the Louisiana purchase. I'm still waiting for you to come to Michigan and give me some golfing lessons. I know you won't believe this but the snow is all gone and it's only June, stupid climate change!

Tom

#345295 - 06/02/12 08:28 AM Re: What was the last song you learned? What's next? [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Would you believe NINETEEN 78?
Tom, I was already in Michigan. I think it was 1975. Can't think of a reason I'd want to come back. smile
Do they still make cares up there?
John C., I will check that one out!
Thanks,
Don

#345296 - 06/02/12 08:39 AM Re: What was the last song you learned? What's next? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I love threads like this because not only does it show what others are working on, but I get some great ideas for my song list as well ... keys ... running out right now to talk to a guy about a gig ... will get back to you all later ...
dance

#345298 - 06/02/12 10:19 AM Re: What was the last song you learned? What's next? [Re: montunoman]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
A couple of songs I’m learning for tomorrow’s gig; “Cold, Cold Heart”, “The Good Life”, “I Wanna Be Around”, “Stranger in Paradise”. This is a C.C. gig that was booked several months ago, and at that time, I asked if there are any special tunes … ‘Oh, just the regular standards and Sinatra tunes’ says the client, ‘No problem’ says I. The day before yesterday, the client calls and says the ‘guest of honor especially likes Tony Bennett…’ and rattles off about a dozen plus titles, some that I have done in the past, and some that I haven’t done. So, from a Fake Book, I enter the chords, rhythms, styles etc. into Band in a Box, save as a midi file, edit in Power Tracks, transfer and re-edit in the Midjay Plus, find, edit and enter lyrics to the MJ. I’ll go over them before the gig. What’s next? I’ll let you know when the phone rings for the next weeks’ gigs.
Ciao,
Jerry

#345305 - 06/02/12 02:21 PM Re: What was the last song you learned? What's next? [Re: Jerry T]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Jerry ... don't you just LOVE when that happens ... at least they didn't surprise you at the gig ...
The last few I've added to my list are Choo Choo Ch' Boogie, Flip, Flop and Fly, and My Darling Clementine - Bobby Darin big band style with key changes ... currently working on 'Blue Velvet' after hearing the Tony Bennett/k.d. Lang duet version - NOT as a 50's type ballad ... a few from this thread will be added also ...

#345306 - 06/02/12 03:56 PM Re: What was the last song you learned? What's next? [Re: montunoman]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Ballad-wise I just learned Mickey Gilley's "That's all that matters to me".

On the up-side, I decided I had to do
Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice" after seeing
this clip of Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJJzGYIR2RI

Eddie

#345310 - 06/02/12 10:02 PM Re: What was the last song you learned? What's next? [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Is anybody learning anything NEW?
I've learned several Billy Whittington and Zak Brown Band songs in the past few months. They go over well with young and older audiences.
BTW a guy from Bossier City, Roscoe Whorton, wrote "That's All That Matters To Me". He sold it outright, along with the rights.
Roscoe was the band leader and piano player on Louisiana Hayride. He came in one night whee I was playing and heard the Roland G800 I had at the time, and asked what I would sell it for. I unloade--I mean agreed to let him buy it, which he did the next day. I noticed he had a really large lump on his neck and I asked if he had been to the doctor. He said no, but he was going next week. Turned out it was cancer and he was dead within a month or so. He also wrote a beautiful song called "My Tomorrows".
Anyway, Roscoe taught me That's All That Matters, long before it was famous. Mickey Gilly did a wonderful job on it, but I believe Roscoe AND my late friend HankB did it better.
DonM

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online