SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66765 - 03/20/08 12:19 PM I feel like a newbie
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
First off, thanks to everyone for your thoughts on the passing of my Dad. I was the go-between him and this forum, as he had no computer. All the songs, tips, and advise on this Technics forum, I passed on to him. This forum made him a happy guy!

Which brings me to my dilemma. I was only a casual user of the KN-7000, and only played this great keyboard on visits to his house. When I did play, I only ever used the basic features with built in styles.

Now that I have inherited the 7000, and I'm trying to learn more, I am finding it a bit confusing. I have been playing a Yamaha for years, and in my opinion, is more user friendly.
Example. With a PSR-3000, If I have a style on a media card, and want to load and play, I just select a style from any media, and boom the style is ready. If it contains voices for the right hand, the OTS is lit, and can be used if desired.

With the KN-7000, I have a few styles from Bill Norrie's site that I wanted to try, and it took awhile, but I got the style to load and play.(Had to use a floppy, as the style does not appear on an SD card) Now what confuses me, is there a right hand voice included with the 4 variations? How do I find out? Do I set the music style arranger to panel? Do I need to set the panel to normal, or expand? I finally did find a rather suitable setup in one of the styles, and it included some right hand voices. But when I loaded up another style, I had to go through the whole procedure once again. MSA set up...panel memory set up. Yikes, I'm lost.

There must be an easier way of loading and playing custom styles from media. All this panel memory,panel setup, composer copy, pattern copy is all too confusing for 'newbies'.

Anyway, all I want to do is load and play some new styles with different right hand voices in the 4 variations,(MSA) (then save the best to memory). If anyone would care to go back to the basics, and simplify this procedure for me, I would be grateful.

For now, I'll stick with the built in styles. Click a button, it loads and plays.
MSA is setup, ready to go. Why can't this be done with styles on a card?

I know, I need the "How Do I Do That" book
Thank you.
Larry

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#66766 - 03/20/08 05:03 PM Re: I feel like a newbie
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Larry,
There are many ways to go about setting your 7000 up, and I’ll show you what I do. A very straight forward approach that works on my PSR 3000 too. In each of the 7K’s 3 primary banks, (A,Band C) save eight voices that suit a particular style of music. For example, my A has big band sounds, B has sound suitable for combos and C has orchestral voice es.
Using the Normal setting save only the right 1 and 2 sounds. Just like on the 3K it will take a bit of tinkering to get a nice combination for some of the voices. Of course, give these settings a name and save to your SD card.

Now you are in a position to select any style and tempo and have 24 voices to choose from without any fuss. I find this simple setup provides a fun way to jam with friends and is an effective way to work out arrangement for recording. I guess MSA is a way to get started, but I like to make my own changes.

Enjoy your new instrument.

Frank

#66767 - 03/21/08 02:49 AM Re: I feel like a newbie
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Golly - where does one start with a complete beginner...and it sounds as though you are a novice with the Technics operating system as well.
I gather that the Yammie system makes complete suggested registrations available to you Larry, well so does the Technics O/S with a button on the left hand side of the KN7000 keyboard coloured yellow and called 'Music Stylist'.
That's a good place to start...and will take you through all the standard rhythms in the machine along with suggested righthand sounds. Using Bill Norrie's stuff is a further step on; so one step at a time...chuckle.
Rog

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 03-21-2008).]

#66768 - 03/21/08 02:16 PM Re: I feel like a newbie
lahawk Offline

Rog...I'm not THAT new...

I know the Music Stylist contains auto right one and right two suggested setups.

What confuses me are custom styles that I have never used until now.
Frank has helped with his setup, but there is so much one has to do to save these styles to memory.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could load a style and push a save button?

I guess Yamaha spoiled me, but I'll get the technique down for Technics. It may take me a bit, but I'll get there.

Thanks for the help
Larry

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#66769 - 03/21/08 05:52 PM Re: I feel like a newbie
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Larry - check your mail.

Audrey

#66770 - 03/22/08 09:01 AM Re: I feel like a newbie
RMepstead Offline

Not sure what Audrey's sent you but an intelligent guess would suggest that she has sent some Custom Styles which will respond to the MSA button and change right hand sounds.
Your real request was...
'Anyway, all I want to do is load and play some new styles with different right hand voices in the 4 variations,(MSA)'
Bill Norrie's sequenced material will where he thinks appropriate to a particular song contain changes of sound for the right hand in the panel memories; however non-standard/default style files do not as a rule provide sound changes for the right hand leaving the user free to determine those alterations and further save them to the panel memories (in some instances already in place).
So in general terms the Technics keyboard unlike the Yamaha from what you say does not do it all for you but allows you the freedom to design your own registrations/set-ups for a song; save those to panel memories and then save all that to the SD Card for quotes boom end quotes instant recall.
It is easy really - it's just different.
Good luck and keep asking the questions...
Rog

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 03-22-2008).]

#66771 - 03/22/08 04:04 PM Re: I feel like a newbie
lahawk Offline

Thanks Rog,
Good explanation.
It's always easy when you know how.
When Yamaha custom styles contain right hand recommended sounds the OTS light is lit. If not, the user must use their own right hand sounds.

With Techncics, I don't think it's that automatic. One has to try and figure out if a custom style contains right hand sounds. Do I set the MSA to sound and rythmn or panel memory. If I use panel memory, do I use normal or expand?
See what I mean? Too many decisions, and I'm left wondering if I'm using the custom style as it was intended to use.

Anyway, I'll keep at it, until a light bulb goes on in my head. I'm sure it's easy to figure out.

BTW...Audry, I never recieved an email from you. Please try again

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#66772 - 03/22/08 05:42 PM Re: I feel like a newbie
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Since I now own an S900 Yamaha this is how Yamaha handles styles and the instruments in the right and left hand.

1-Dwonload a style or select a preset style.
2-Rework style and add the instruments for the right and left hand.
3-Save the style on the Thumb drive – Unlimited number can be saved.
4-When you play the style the OTS will change with each variation. If you turn the OTS off you can still select the four instruments for the right and left hand you placed with the style. This means you can select instruments with the panel of instruments, the registration or the four buttons, which give you, have set up with the style. It also means that you can play any variation of the style and use any of the four instrument set ups in any combination.

Pads – There are six on Technics – you allowed to chose one.
Pads – There are four on Yamaha – you can use them all at once and pull up another bank and use all four of those and have them play at the same time. Would I use them all at the same time? No, but it is nice to add a second or a third pad. Some times I use the drums only and add 2 to 4 pads – followed by adding the complete style.

Larry, I have always spent a lot of time just playing a new keyboard’s present styles and instruments until I had a good idea what I liked. Then I began to create and save. I spend a great deal of time planing how I can get what I want out of my keyboard. Each time I went ahead without to much thought I had to redo much of what I had done. Larry, I hope this helps.

John C.

#66773 - 03/22/08 06:14 PM Re: I feel like a newbie
lahawk Offline

Thanks John,
I just find Yamaha styles easier to work with, probably because I'm more accustomed to it.

Audry,
Your email came through. Thanks, it is a
nice simple explanation...great job!

Happy Easter to you all
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#66774 - 03/24/08 03:06 AM Re: I feel like a newbie
RMepstead Offline

Hi again Larry
I'll try to answer some of your questions, but first I ought to say that 'Custom styles' are not an enormous reservoir of new rhythms; by far the larger collection of available style files from the internet will load into the Memory area of your Rhythms section of the keyboard (button immediately to the right of the Custom Styles button).
Regarding MSA I always have it set to 'Sound and Rhythm' but I suppose if it was set to Panel Memory it would then pick up any variations in sound selected by the producer of that rhythm.
Regarding Panel Memory settings 'expand' provides for the collation of all components of the registration someone has put together whilst 'Sound' only panel memorises the right hand sounds.
Hope this helps...
Rog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online