Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Dennis, I was looking for opinion why the Korg Songbook is superior...sorry I still don't see it..I am not defending the G70...it is every thing I need ...

Why is midi selection important with a top of the line arranger?
Why is it important to need more than 144 locations?
Via the keyboard as the controller..the user program selection from storage card is easy to use....
I probably use 3 or 4 user programs, for specialtie performances....My default user is really all I need to use...preferring to make my selections live during performance..since this is easy to do with Roland OS..

So in review, I am neither knocking the Korg or defending the Roland.....I am just trying to understand your views...

Okay fair enough Fran, TBH I thought it was clear enough, but to explain a bit more simply:

I am not talking about selecting MIDIS per se, I am talking about a special midi file created to load a Songbook Entry - be it a style, an MP3 or a song based midi file - these are a one bar "oneshot" midi that uses NRPN CC's plus the Data Entry CC, which when transmitted over a nominated "control" channle on the PA series, then automatically loads the Songbook entry with all resources - Microphone EQ and Harmoniser settings as well.

Look why don't you check this You Tube clip - which I think explains it even better ....

Having a data base of 9,999 songs to choose from makes doing requests a snap!
It also means that ....let's say I have prepared a playlist at home for the 3rd set of the night - I have my 20-25 songs all ready to go - BUT then I am playing at the gig and I find what I had prepared is not working, with the instant nature of the KSB and the fact there are son many entries instantly available I can simply change to dynamically (you do understand what I mean by dynamically? Not being rude, just asking....) selecting songs, then if I find the audience is getting more responsive, I can slip straight back to the prepared playlist...

You know as well as I do it is harder to get folks ON the dance floor than to keep them there wink

I know the Roland is easy to use but the number restriction (128) was always an issue...Why Roland could not have extended the function past a basic single bank MIDI set is beyond me!!! And I will also say that had Roland HAD the access to more entries (without the need to keep loading a whole UPS to get one or two songs) I daresay I would not have gone back over to Korg with the PA2xPro..

Does that help?

Dennis