SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#466980 - 03/05/19 09:41 AM Booking Senior Events
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
After experiencing and witnessing the frustration many of us have had with the senior home circuit, one might consider going after a perhaps limited, but more worthwhile market, in private senior events..... retirement parties, 50th or 40th anniversaries, 80 year old birthday parties, etc. While performing for hundreds of senior residence events, I've had only a few of such special events... and found them to be more profitable and more fun (what else is there?) Only challenge is finding and booking... marketing. Any thoughts?

Glenn

#466981 - 03/05/19 10:02 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Dnj Offline

Don't be fooled these 80 year old parties and older events have lots of younger people and grandchildren that want to dance and party so you better be ready to play alot the popular stuff that's out today,
line dances etc,.. Players beware don't get caught in a situation you wish you weren't...

Edited by Dnj (03/05/19 01:27 PM)

#466983 - 03/05/19 10:39 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good topic, Glennf, though I disagree with Donny's assessment. When I was still working, I sent out colorful post cards to all of my ADs that were titled "15 Good Reasons To Celebrate" in which listed the names and dates of every holiday on the calendar for the year. This usually resulted in several dozen jobs, often added jobs to locations where I performed regularly.

Next, at a dozen or more locations, we had a monthly birthday bash, often held in the evening right after supper from 7 till 8 p.m.. Another dozen or more jobs on the books. It was rare to see young folks at these events, and if there were some youngsters, the few that attended chimed in when we all sang Happy Birthday as a sing along.

Every year or so, politicians had to raise cash for the reelections. This translates into evening jobs at dozens of locations throughout your area, all of which usually had some live music. The trick here was to find out who the contact person was, which usually involved some telephone calls to the party's central committees. Then it was a matter of setting up a meeting and providing the campaign manager with a quality CD and good promo package. This usually amounted to another 50 jobs for me on election years. I charged $500 for these election fund raiser parties, which often took place in a ballroom. Ironically, I usually played less than an hour because the wannabe politicians were constantly onstage promoting themselves with lengthy political speeches. Always got lots of attaboys from the campaign manager, and some of the politicians in attendance frequently asked for cards and if I would be willing to play at their fund raisers.

To this, you can add private parties held at local restaurant banquet rooms. I promoted these by visiting the restaurants and talking with the owner/manager and providing them with a quality promo package including a CD. The promo package usually included a photo sheet that featured these type of parties. Promo photos go a long way in booking private parties, including something as small as a living room party.

As you can plainly see, the secret to success is to be a good PR person, Salesman and of course, be able to provide high quality, diverse, musical entertainment program to your clients. This will usually result in repeat bookings from the same folks, and possibly bookings from those in attendance of the event.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#466991 - 03/05/19 01:33 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Dnj Offline

"PR" all you want has to be backed up big time Gary fancy calendars and fluff mean nothing once they hear you play.
You get you one shot and you better have the goods.
That's the bottom line
....promo goes out the door when the competition playing for FREE!

The situation for NH gigs is drastically changing be thankful you were there at it's height.

Edited by Dnj (03/05/19 01:39 PM)

#466992 - 03/05/19 01:35 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
GlennT ... i don't want to speak for others, BUT, I do think that when Donny made this comment: Don't be fooled these 80 year old parties and older events have lots of younger people and grandchildren so you better be ready to play all the stuff that's out today,line dances Etc.. Players beware don't get caught in a situation you wish you weren't...I believe he was talking about 'private' parties for older people, not the NH/AL venues I believe Gary was referring to. In that regard, I would say Donny is right ... Anytime I get a call for an 'older' birthday party, anniversary, whatever, I always ask if there are younger people who are going to be there, so I know what to be prepared for ... Also, I find that more and more, at mixed age 'family' affairs (I'm not talking weddings) there is less and less dancing, possibly because a lot of attendees are there out of the need to fulfill an obligation rather than to really have a good time ...

PS: Of course I was writing my response while Donny was posting his ... grin

Edited by tony mads usa (03/05/19 01:36 PM)

#466994 - 03/05/19 01:49 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
"PR" all you want has to be backed up big time Gary fancy calendars and fluff mean nothing once they hear you play.
You get you one shot and you better have the goods. That's the bottom line

Absolutely, but it's the PR that MIGHT get your foot in the door ...

#466995 - 03/05/19 01:50 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Tony thank you for the recognition,...I have always said like it or not you have to MIX IT UP in today's music world of gigging...
I saw it coming years ago and now it is ALL coming true.
Just sitting there playing an arranger kb isn't gonna cut it anymore if you wanna exist you need to really amp it up for many reasons if not the train will leave you at the station. Or you could just play in your bedroom and enjoy music with headphones on nothing wrong with that, ..
it may sound grim what is happening out there but it is reality sorry to say.

#467001 - 03/05/19 02:17 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, I have always said I am not a musician, though a lot of folks sincerely think I am. At best, I am a hack musician. However, I have clearly stated I am an entertainer that has a reasonably good singing voice and have always been able to deliver the goods as you stated so many times, or the way I look at it, a full, musical entertainment package. If you cannot deliver the full package, have the ability to read an audience, you cannot possibly make it in this business. The senior circuit may be falling apart in some parts of the nation, but not here in Maryland, Virginia, Delaware and out west in California, Oregon, Nevada and Washington. I communicate with folks regularly from all those areas and they are all doing quite well, command top pay rates and are booked solid.

As tony said, the promo packages and followups are the key to getting your foot in the door, not an instant booking for life. Those bookings often do not come until after you have performed a job or two, thus if you provide the full, entertainment package, you now have demonstrated you can do the job effectively. Word of mouth just don't cut it these days. The folks that stay busy down here are those that promote themselves regularly using any promotional vehicle they can utilize.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#467008 - 03/05/19 02:59 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Dnj
Don't be fooled these 80 year old parties and older events have lots of younger people and grandchildren that want to dance and party so you better be ready to play alot the popular stuff that's out today,
line dances etc,.. Players beware don't get caught in a situation you wish you weren't...

Heck, even the elderly folks are now into line dancing to the recent hit songs with the dirty lyrics and all! Lots of senior centers have line dancing classes that are very popular.

You got to be ready for anything now- We all love the old standards but times are changing!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#467012 - 03/05/19 03:13 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman

Heck, even the elderly folks are now into line dancing to the recent hit songs with the dirty lyrics and all! Lots of senior centers have line dancing classes that are very popular.
You got to be ready for anything now- We all love the old standards but times are changing!

Paul - and others - what are you noticing the seniors line dancing to these days? ... I know all about the 'old chestnuts', but what about the newer stuff?

#467013 - 03/05/19 03:24 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony, at our age, newer is a relative term. wink

Gary cool

#467016 - 03/05/19 03:38 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Tony, at our age, newer is a relative term. wink
Gary cool

Newest ? ... Latest ? ... grin

#467017 - 03/05/19 03:45 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By GlennT
After experiencing and witnessing the frustration many of us have had with the senior home circuit, one might consider going after a perhaps limited, but more worthwhile market, in private senior events..... retirement parties, 50th or 40th anniversaries, 80 year old birthday parties, etc. While performing for hundreds of senior residence events, I've had only a few of such special events... and found them to be more profitable and more fun (what else is there?) Only challenge is finding and booking... marketing. Any thoughts?
Glenn

Glenn

Going back to your original post, obviously following a lot of Gary's advice would be worth while ... As for venues, aside from the usual NH/AL venues, I would look into the '55+' communities that seem to be popping up all around us ... Most of these places have nice clubhouses used by the community residents for various functions, and some even have a pretty nice restaurant where they might be able to incorporate some live entertainment ...
Just remember to advertise yourself for the audience you are looking to entertain ...

#467018 - 03/05/19 03:47 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa

Paul - and others - what are you noticing the seniors line dancing to these days? ... I know all about the 'old chestnuts', but what about the newer stuff?

Blurred lines, Fireball, Cake by the Ocean,
Uptown Funk, The Wobble, Cupid Shuffle,
Let's Get Loud, etc, etc,

#467019 - 03/05/19 03:54 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Donny ... just to clarify, these are line dances SENIORS are dancing to ?

#467020 - 03/05/19 04:05 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Donny ... just to clarify, these are line dances SENIORS are dancing to ?

Not all..... Cupid shuffle and Wobble are.. Todays seniors start at 55..

Edited by Dnj (03/05/19 04:08 PM)

#467021 - 03/05/19 04:43 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
My wife joined a line dancing group at the local rec center. She says she is the youngest in the class by far. Everyone in the group is in there’s 60s and 70’s she says. I’ll ask her for some song titles.

I’ll add that I play drums with in a Tejano/oldies band. They’ve been playing together since 1960! Anyways, they play a lot of 50+ anniversary parties, 70, 80, 90 and even 100 year birthday parties. During the breaks, the leaders grandson who is ia DJ, plays line dancing songs, And the dance floor fills up even with the elderly folks. He plays all the songs that Donny mentioned among others. I’ll try to get his list. Personally I’m not into that sort of music at all, so durring breaks I just try to get some fresh air.... But yes, it is quite a sight to see!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#467022 - 03/05/19 04:43 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Thank you both ...

#467049 - 03/06/19 04:26 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Not right on Glenn’s topic but seems relevant about line dancing .

What I’ve seen here in the Villages Florida. There are 3 town squares and every evening (unless rainy) from 5 to 9 they have live bands or singers using backing tracks. There are a couple of outstanding bands but I have never seen the dance floors/fields/brick concrete squares more more packed than when Scooter the DJ is performing. He really gets the audience involved, from what I’ve read he is one of the highest paid entertainers here.

https://www.scooterthedj.com

Edited by Stephenm52 (03/06/19 04:31 AM)

#467059 - 03/06/19 06:28 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
"Getting your foot in the door" says it all, at least as far as getting past square one. A very successful college football coach once said, regarding recuiting talented players, "get them to visit our facility/campus, we'll do the rest" His recuiting success rate with those players was excellent because he not only had the "entire package", but knew how to show it and sell it. The analogy... as an entertainer, of course one must have the "entire package", which covers a lot. It includes your music, showmanship, personality, and confidence that you can do it. And only then does it make sense to even go after square one.

#467061 - 03/06/19 06:52 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By GlennT
"Getting your foot in the door" says it all, at least as far as getting past square one. A very successful college football coach once said, regarding recuiting talented players, "get them to visit our facility/campus, we'll do the rest" His recuiting success rate with those players was excellent because he not only had the "entire package", but knew how to show it and sell it. The analogy... as an entertainer, of course one must have the "entire package", which covers a lot. It includes your music, showmanship, personality, and confidence that you can do it. And only then does it make sense to even go after square one.

The audience will determine if you have what it takes if you get that far....if I'm being brutally honest.. unfortunately many think they do but don't.

#467063 - 03/06/19 07:07 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Stephenm52]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
[quote=Stephenm52]Not right on Glenn’s topic but seems relevant about line dancing .

What I’ve seen here in the Villages Florida. There are 3 town squares and every evening (unless rainy) from 5 to 9 they have live bands or singers using backing tracks. There are a couple of outstanding bands but I have never seen the dance floors/fields/brick concrete squares more more packed than when Scooter the DJ is performing. He really gets the audience involved, from what I’ve read he is one of the highest paid entertainers here.

So please enlighten us as to what he does that makes him so special. I'd love to see him in person and learn. From the pictures I see he gets involved with the audience, big Mickey Mouse hands and all but what are some of his other "Bits" that work.

#467064 - 03/06/19 07:11 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

"Just sitting there playing an arranger kb isn't gonna cut it anymore if you wanna exist you need to really amp it up for many reasons if not the train will leave you at the station. "

Amen to that ! Definatly true if you want to do parties.

#467065 - 03/06/19 07:40 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
"Just sitting there playing an arranger kb isn't gonna cut it anymore if you wanna exist you need to really amp it up for many reasons if not the train will leave you at the station. "

Amen to that ! Definitely true if you want to do parties.

get your chicken hat & YMCA costumes ready!! wink

#467081 - 03/06/19 11:16 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Damn, I MISS that stinky old chicken hat!

Russ (cluck, cluck) Lay

#467098 - 03/06/19 04:16 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By Dnj

I saw it coming years ago and now it is ALL coming true.
Just sitting there playing an arranger kb isn't gonna cut it anymore if you wanna exist you need to really amp it up for many reasons if not the train will leave you at the station. Or you could just play in your bedroom and enjoy music with headphones on nothing wrong with that, ..
it may sound grim what is happening out there but it is reality sorry to say.

I have to side with Donny at this point. Everything changes- nothing changes back.

I grew up with a love for playing many kinds of music. Later in life I found audiences who appreciated the same music and found I could make money sharing it. It was always about the music first and the show second for me. I was not unsuccessful at it as my music served a specific audience (many first generation Europeans) who enjoyed the music of their homelands, But they have aged and I just today received the notice of another's passing, which seem to come weekly. I've always mixed other music as not to limit myself.
I don't see a profit moving to the nursing home circuit at this point; I've always done 3-5 hour gigs and going to one hour pay for moving close to the same amount of stuff and travel doesn't cut it, not to mention everything written here about it.
I've suffered losses- original band members to illness, and perhaps most of all, several people who were the original and perpetual inspiration for me to continue.
I don't plan to stop playing but my public performances are in their last days. You have to know when its time to get out.

I've known performers whose egos have prevented them from realizing its time to quit, who can't understand why nobody hires them anymore, and are privately ridiculed. I never want to be that guy.

Edited by sparky589 (03/07/19 07:28 AM)

#467101 - 03/06/19 05:07 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Stephenm52 Offline

[quote=Stephenm52]Not right on Glenn’s topic but seems relevant about line dancing .

So please enlighten us as to what he does that makes him so special. I'd love to see him in person and learn. From the pictures I see he gets involved with the audience, big Mickey Mouse hands and all but what are some of his other "Bits" that work.

Bill, He gets the audience participating and in a BIG way!! So it’s all about audience participation. Whether you’re an old timer or your grand children are here visiting many get up to dance. We happened to catch him during February school vacation. In all honesty we did not like him but we are not party/dance people.

At the time he was playing we were having dinner on the outdoor patio of a nearby restaurant. All we heard was heavy thumping bass and drums, both my wife and I thought what is that crap the band is playing. We were surprised to see that it was a Dj.

Guess I’m showing signs of being 67. On the other hand last Friday night we saw Blood Sweat & Tears at a venue on site, now that was a great show.

#467103 - 03/06/19 05:15 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
... we saw Blood Sweat & Tears at a venue on site, now that was a great show.

"
... spinning wheel got to go round ..."
rocker

#467104 - 03/06/19 05:42 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

... we saw Blood Sweat & Tears at a venue on site, now that was a great show.

"
... spinning wheel got to go round ..."
rocker

rotfl

#467108 - 03/06/19 06:16 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Got to see BST a few years ago at a festival in Shreveport. They were outstanding!

#467114 - 03/06/19 07:39 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY

Edited by Jerryghr (03/06/19 07:50 PM)

#467136 - 03/07/19 07:28 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks Jerry
Most DJ's do some "bits" to involve the crowd. This guy is one continuous "bit"and he knows what gets them going and is successful. The big dollar Wedding DJ's use "party motivators" to get people involved.
There's a guy who does a similiar thing here on Hilton Head. Every Wed. at Shelter Cove, a big retail and condo development on the harbor. All the other restaurants had to sign an agreement not to have any outdoor entertainment on Wed. night so as not to interfere with his show. His show is mostly kid oriented and people literally are throwing their kids on the stage to participate.
Far from preforming music as the main focus but it sells. I'll still keep practicing the piano.

#467140 - 03/07/19 08:19 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I admire his energy, and knowing his own strength, but there is no amount of money that would make that type of show appeal to me. (as a performer)
I need a better balance of art and entertainment. If I ever have to resort to being a clown to earn a living ... it's time for plan B ... or C ... or ...
Let me be clear - I'm not dissing his act. I'm just saying that, as a musician, and an artist it's not my cup of tea.
I've said before, it's not the money that motivates me. It's the work. There are lots of jobs that pay more that I'll never do.

There's a great quote from pulp fiction that I LOVE:
(from the breakfast scene)

"VINCENT: Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

JULES: A sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know, 'cause even if
it did, I wouldn't eat the filthy ************"

Some things just don't interest me.
smile

#467141 - 03/07/19 08:22 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I still get a thrill from playing music, and from others enjoying it. When that stops, so will I. I do some lame jokes and interact when appropriate, but I won't be a clown.
My job is not to try to please everyone; it is to do what I do and find people who want to hear it. So far, so good.

#467143 - 03/07/19 08:26 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By DonM
I do some lame jokes and interact when appropriate, but I won't be a clown.

YUP. My thoughts exactly. Clown is not in my job description.
(cue Seinfeld: not that there's anything WRONG with that)
smile

#467144 - 03/07/19 08:33 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Bill Lewis Offline

It seems that more and more thats what people want. I get calls to DJ and they always ask "do you do line dances" Answer is yes but I don't run around the stage I just play them.
I've had a nice job at a CC every year for the 4th. Just DJ by the pool. They didn't want any keyboard or vocals. Last year they had a new mgr. When I showed up he asked if I could do kids games and give away prizes. Luckily it was about to rain so I had to play inside and got spared from being the kids clown act. Next year I think I'll turn that job down even though its is big money.
I draw the line too but theres less and less call for just music at parties. Still hoping for that elusive restaurant job where I can just play and sing.

#467145 - 03/07/19 08:38 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Stephenm52 Offline

Thanks Jerry
I'll still keep practicing the piano.

Plus 1. And yes I still get lots of enjoyment out of playing music. I don’t care to be a DJ.

Edited by Stephenm52 (03/07/19 08:40 AM)

#467152 - 03/07/19 09:13 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Stephenm52]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Does he really not know why a peaceful retirement community doesn't want acts to go past 9pm with boom boom boom?
I'm glad I read this so if I move there ill pick a spot furthest from performing areas. Ill walk there if I want to see it.

Edited by sparky589 (03/07/19 09:15 AM)

#467160 - 03/07/19 10:40 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Uncle Dave]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I admire his energy, and knowing his own strength, but there is no amount of money that would make that type of show appeal to me. (as a performer)

You beat me to it-+1

#467170 - 03/07/19 03:02 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: sparky589]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By sparky589
Does he really not know why a peaceful retirement community doesn't want acts to go past 9pm with boom boom boom?
I'm glad I read this so if I move there ill pick a spot furthest from performing areas. Ill walk there if I want to see it.

The good news is there’s really no homes close by that would be affected by the boom, boom.

#467177 - 03/07/19 04:05 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Bill Lewis Offline

I thought people moves to the Villages to have fun. Damn you people sound "old"
Get off my lawn !!!

LOL Only kidding.

#467182 - 03/07/19 04:49 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Stephenm52 Offline

Get off my lawn !!!

LOL Only kidding.

We are old! grin Drinking and dancing is big here as are drunk golf cart driving arrests, it’s an eye opener in more ways than one. Been there done that in my mid-spent youth. We took up pickle ball do a lot of bike riding, shoot pool, hang out by the pool.

Speaking of eye openers here’s one for you
https://www.lakeandsumterstyle.com/the-untold-stories-of-the-villages/

#467189 - 03/07/19 11:19 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Mark79100 Offline

Playing, entertaining, interacting at parties where kids need to be entertained. You've got to ask yourself: "do I do entertainment for ME and play what I want to play, or do I do it to make people happy which translates to “do I try to make the world a better place through my musical skills? If it’s the former, it’s OK to do whatever floats your boat. But if you want to keep working (and making money) rather than moan about the times.....adapt.....like Donny says: either work on fitting into a new groove or.....sit it out at the train station.

I chose to adapt in the past. Sure I was hesitant and uneasy with each new change but as I began to take possession of each new role I was entering I found the change to be quite therapeutic. Woke me up out of my hum-drum. Life was never meant to be static. The human body and mind was never meant to decompose from non-usage.

I was smart enough (and lucky enough) to be able to adapt to all the changes over the years. Well, all the changes up to now....now they're coming too fast to get a handle on them.

But it went like this for me. Started, like most of us...a musician playing my instrument…the accordion. Realized I eventually needed to sing so I took years of singing lessons. Saw the arranger age coming and slowly transitioned to my first arranger keyboard…a Casio. Then realized there's money to be made in the "piano circuit" so I spent time polishing up my piano chops ‘cause the piano is a whole lot different than an arranger. Next, DJ's came into vogue. That meant another year transitioning into that starting in the early 90's. Did most of my work as a DJ at parties at night and a musician during the day at the nursing homes for the next 20 years. During my DJ years, I found I liked the freedom to move around and the enjoyment of "listening" to music now instead of playing it but eventually I became bored just standing around spinning records. So I began developing “patter” with the audience, singing with Karaoke tracks during the DJ performance, and going out on the floor and interacting with the people. Next, when I ran through that phase, I found I really enjoyed working with the kids and for a few years that’s what I did. Became the circus master. Whatever kind of party I DJ’d, I made it a point to get the kids worked up with party games and whatever dancing they could relate too. Got to the point where I was doing 3-4 hours mostly working the kids. We were all happy.....me.....working with the children and feeling important giving them the attention their parents didn’t, me.....picking up a big paycheck for the “specialty” work, the kids.....having fun with a temporary father/authority figure that they needed (me), and.....the parents.....as one parent put it to me one day: “thanks for taking them off my hands for a few hours!”

I’ve been lucky that I had the ability to shift gears all those times. But the real talent is working hard at what you‘re walking into. I have to give myself credit. I worked ferociously.....really really hard and put countless hours into learning every one of my new “musical careers” I was starting at every step of the way. I didn’t walk into anything blindly.

Kids are great to work with if you know your stuff.....what songs to play, playing kid’s games, determining what they will react to both musically and verbally, realizing how they need a “leader” to follow because many of them are lost in today’s complex environment having no parental guidance, etc. The best part…..after working with them for a few hours, you walk away feeling young again, rejuvenated, refreshed and mostly.....the innocence of the children reminds you the world is really a beautiful place when you get the adults out of the picture!
---------------
Mark adds the next morning after a good night's sleep:

When I say "kids" I mean up to around ages 14-15. After that they start to approach "unruly" stage.

Thought a lot about what I wrote above. At this stage of my life, I could easily throw in the towel. The creature (music industry) attacks with so many tentacles now you don't know which one to address first. Maybe it's time to pull a "Gary" and "Donny" and bow out gracefully!

Edited by Mark79100 (03/08/19 07:49 AM)

#467192 - 03/08/19 12:05 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: tony mads usa]
Mark79100 Offline

Paul - and others - what are you noticing the seniors line dancing to these days?

Google strikes again:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=zCCCXLW...i71.afQZhidvWrY

https://www.billboard.com/photos/8022862/line-dance-songs-popular-group-dance-music

#467196 - 03/08/19 03:02 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: sparky589]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I had over 400 students in my music store/school, the school was the major source of income. Back in those days the accordion ruled. We had accordion bands, groups, accordion everything. When accordion sales began to go down, I was not sure what I had to do.

One of my customers said “John you must go with the flow”. She was right, R&R was here to stay, and accordions were on their way out. Then came jokes like; He was a bad guy, so he was sent to hell, and for extra punishment we were going to put an accordion player in with him. The accordion had its day.

I switched to guitar everything. My business continued to prosper. Accordion students were few.

Those of us who have a choice are fortunate. Feed my business, or feed myself. It’s my life and my business, and whatever I decide is right for me. Amen!

Why did I leave New York I 1984? I’m glad you asked. Because I was playing more and more R&R on the job. I had to be true to myself, so I moved to Florida, R&R was not ruling at that time.

Now I could still be selling accordions, and still be playing R&R, but being what someone else wants you to be eliminates most of the joy in one’s life.

Just saying, John C.
This keeps rolling in my head: Either relieve yourself, or get off the pot.

#467224 - 03/08/19 08:48 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ah, the dichotomy! You can play music and instruments you like and starve, or research the market and play what pays.

For instrumentalists...particularly, jazz instrumentalists, while your ability grows, your potential audience shrinks.

That's why so many jazz musicians end up incarcerated, committed or dead.

I'm a cop-out. I did find a way to play and get paid, but it is playing 2nd fiddle to a ham sandwich or playing scores behind images of trucks, fried chicken, pizza and staircases.

A small part of me will always regret the decisions I made.
I did provide a good life for my family and help thousands along the way.

For the rest of my life, I will live on my SS and retirement and give the rest away. I have contracts thru 2025 that pay in the mid-6 figures. My enjoyment will be derived from what that money can do for others and supporting my son and another business partner who need me to write the scripts, take the pictures, design the research projects, do rough layouts, etc.

And (cross my heart), hopefully, music will be a part of everything I do until I die.

Russ

#467234 - 03/08/19 11:21 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Mark
Good points. I like you went thru the changes of the business but moving here has really put me at a disadvantage. I don't play guitar, don't know or like most of the stuff they play here, and I'm not the right age bracket for most of the jobs.
I miss working with kids as a teacher. I had a lot of fun with them, especially the Middle schoolers. Maybe because mentally I'm 12 years old sometimes ! Its does kep you young.
PLaying and singing is still my #1 thing and I do it whenever I can. DJing I do for the money but I do do enjoy making people happy.
I haven't bowed out yet but just pick and choose what I feel like doing as I don't depend on the money as I used to.
Hang in there and just find what you enjoy, you can't do it all anymore..

#467236 - 03/08/19 11:25 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Stephenm52]
Bill Lewis Offline

Get off my lawn !!!

LOL Only kidding.

We are old! grin Drinking and dancing is big here as are drunk golf cart driving arrests, it’s an eye opener in more ways than one. Been there done that in my mid-spent youth. We took up pickle ball do a lot of bike riding, shoot pool, hang out by the pool.

I can't help it but the mental picture of a golf cart getting a DUI is funny to me.
That artical make the Villages sound terrible, who would live there ! Wink Wink
My Father in Law wanted to buy a place there and never did. I wish he would of.

#467247 - 03/08/19 01:11 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
travlin'easy Offline

Bill, I had a couple friends that lived there, the golf carts are absolutely wild looking, and that place was party central. Everyone seemed happy and really enjoying life. I tried to get my wife to move to the Florida Keys 35 years ago, but she didn't want to move away from her family, which we saw an average of twice a year. I'm pretty confident we would have seen them a lot more if we lived in the Keys - especially in the winter. smile

Gary cool

#467257 - 03/08/19 05:25 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Stephenm52 Offline

Get off my lawn !!!

LOL Only kidding.

I can't help it but the mental picture of a golf cart getting a DUI is funny to me.
That artical make the Villages sound terrible, who would live there ! Wink Wink
My Father in Law wanted to buy a place there and never did. I wish he would of.

There is even a case now where a guy driving DWI had a woman fall out of his golf cart. He had just picked her up at one of the local watering holes. After she fell off and was unconcious he dragged her into the bushes . She died of her injuries there's a lawyer trying to get the driver off now claiming it was her fault she fell off.

The Villages is a great fun place but like anywhere in the world when you get 120,000 plus residents there's bound to be problems.

We just got back from one of the town squares, this evening they had a Camaro Car Show and one of the best bands here Rocky and the Rollers played. Below is a link to a few photos I took to give you an idea what Friday night is like.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmBrQJrT

#467261 - 03/08/19 07:16 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Steve... I am picturing you as "The Fonz" in the Villages. smile

#467262 - 03/08/19 07:43 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: btweengigs]
tony mads usa Offline

Steve, I love you, bro ... but I don't have to see pics of people in shorts when I'm sitting in 25 degrees !!!
wink

#467263 - 03/08/19 10:07 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

Mark
I miss working with kids as a teacher. I had a lot of fun with them, especially the Middle schoolers. Maybe because mentally I'm 12 years old sometimes ! Its does keep you young.

Bill...I never thought about that...."being mentally 12 years old sometimes." That pretty much says it for me too. A great way to be if you're an entertainer. What kids (or adults even) can have fun with the stuffy, old codger type. When I'm performing, now that I think of it, I'm like a kid on a merry-go-round. Youth and energy are always an attractive package. Unfortunately, I haven't got youth anymore but the energy level is still up to par. Then again, the day isn't over yet!

Mark

#467268 - 03/09/19 03:55 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: btweengigs]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By btweengigs
Steve... I am picturing you as "The Fonz" in the Villages. smile

smile smile

Steve, I love you, bro ... but I don't have to see pics of people in shorts when I'm sitting in 25 degrees !!!
wink

Tony, sorry my brother, don’t mean to “buster.” Sometimes I need to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming.

#467436 - 03/12/19 11:37 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

His show is mostly kid oriented and people literally are throwing their kids on the stage to participate.

During my 20 years as a DJ, the one thing I learned that made me popular was this. At many intimate, family-type parties, don't worry about entertaining the adults so much as entertaining the kids. Parents love to watch and film their children playing games (especially winning the game), dressed in costumes and hats, making faces, interacting with the other kids, etc. We all know parents are obsessed with two things.....themselves and their children! Please the kids and you please the parents.....sometimes without line dances even.
(But.....WARNING: do NOT do this at weddings and "giant" affairs!)

I worked with kids for a few years. Some of the ideas I used:

Jr. Miss America contest (play "A Pretty Girl is Like A Melody)
Mr. Muscle Man Contest (they do muscle poses...play Macho Man)
Balloon race (hold the balloon between two people...using the body only...no hands....play William Tell Overture)
Dance competition (teach them basic moves in standard dances...tango, cha-cha, waltz....dancing with their parents)
Freeze Dance combined with Huggy Bear and Coke/Pepsi
Talent show with kids providing the talent
Father/Daughter dance (play Daddy's Little Girl...even as corny as it is today)
Mother/Son dance (I let them dance to Disco and make up the moves)

You can stretch many ideas out to fill out a 3-4 hour gig with enough patter in between.

But the point again....whenever possible, for "family" events (birthday parties, etc) you don't need to focus on the music....only the kids.

#467457 - 03/13/19 01:43 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Bill Lewis Offline

As i said all DJ's have their "bits" and the ones invloving kids work great a family events. Some good ideas there but think I'll still pass on that 4th job this year.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online