Quote:
Does the OS3 REPLACE the waveform ROM that came when you bought it

No.

Quote:
or do the new styles only address the old sample ROM?

Technically, yes.

Quote:
You talk about this new piano (from the PA800), that HAS to be new samples, doesn't it? So no styles can address this until it is loaded into RAM?

Yes and yes.

Quote:
How about new drumkits or guitar sounds? I realize that the new OS allows for much more multi-sample switching, etc., which will breathe new life into the old sample ROM quite a bit, but at the end of the day, it IS still the old ROM, isn't it?

Yes and no.
The RX engine has been updated to 16 OSC’s, so the level of control and complexity over a sound has been enhanced greatly.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the new OS looks to be an amazing boon to current owners of PA1X's, but personally, I would still, if I were thinking about a new arranger, think it possibly worth the wait for Korg to come out with a new TOTL (top of the line) arranger with the PA800's engine.

It’s not a lure to get people to buy more Pa1X keyboards, it’s about a promise to Pa1X users that KORG made a long time ago to support their customers by trying to reverse engineer new systems that they where developing for a new keyboard. Which turned out to be the Pa800 but nobody knew that at the time.

Quote:
MUCH greater polyphony, MUCH greater addressable RAM memory, probably faster response (latency), and that thing we all crave, NEW ROM waveforms that address the shortcomings in the current set.

I’m sure that in time you will see this, but KORG have always given their products a very long life before the successor comes out. Which I think it’s great considering that keyboards do cost money and they are expensive.

I’d rather see many years of support and OS updates than the expectation to just buy a new keyboard every 2 years or so.

Regards.
James.