Vquestor, Sonar 2.2 XL is not that bad when it comes to latency but for me I prefer if it were 10ms or less. In addition, I have not figured out how to run live more than one Audio Channel in Sonar. I am certain there is a way. I have always used Cakewalk in the past but have not had Sonar for more than a few weeks. In some ways Cakewalk Plus Bill Gates is a safer business relationship then Steinberg with no one.

I have tried and paid for Audio Compositor. It works but is also limited by latency and quality of the effects. Here I am not entirely certain, but it can only hold a certain number of waves or bits at one time. I could not load sYnerGiGS edit it and save it without error messages. Otherwise it works. LiveSynthPro is better. You can use the effects of the host and use any size of GM Wavetable.

The best hope is SeerSystem's Reality or Roland's HQ Hyper Canvas. It certainly would be nice if VSampler 3.0 or Kontakt came out with a midi program change feature. In fact, I already have a Kontakt GM wavetable by Sonic Reality - ready to go!!!

And yes, Yamaha has their own softsynth and it is very good for its size and playing back midi files but.... It is only 4 or so MB and has latency problems. The quality would be lower then their lowest quality arranger keyboard - not bad but not good enough.

My system with some optimization including your noted suggestions would be ready for live performances. In fact, on other forums a number of live entertainers are doing just that with laptops and good controller keyboards. It is going to happen.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 06-18-2003).]