Hi Lee,

The way these performances were accomplished is by sequencing the piece in its entirety. The sequence is calling up keyboard set-ups and of course playing the parts like drums that are not being played live. You can see the thumb button triggers under the upper manual being selected automatically throughout the song which is how the sounds on both manuals are magically changing without the player touching anything but the keys. You could pull off something similar by doing a lot of work in style record mode, but for this type of performance, using the traditional sequencer method would be far easier.

On the Generalmusic instruments that I am very familiar with as well as the Korg arrangers that I am becoming very familiar with, you can insert events throughout the sequence that will call up different keyboard set-ups (8 Song Presets on the GEM / 4 STS Presets on the Korg). The GEM Song Presets can each store sound selection, key range (for keyboard splits), transpose, volume, effects routings, pedal and wheel settings and aftertouch for all 32 tracks of the sequencer of which any number of tracks can be either playing back a recorded track or set to play live. On the Korg, the STS's store similar parameters for up to 4 live tracks that are available on top of the 16 sequencer tracks. I am sure Yamaha and Roland arrangers have a similar ability.

And yes, these songs and players are very good. Thanks for the links.

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 11-05-2010).]