SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#133571 - 07/21/05 12:58 PM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Hi Scott,

I will gladly send you my settings (PAS and Tyros) to give you a point to start your testing (I do not have my Tyros with me until tomorrow night). They are not very different from Gary's. Please check out this thread for details; Gary and Eddie are the real experts and they helped me a lot: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010996.html

My european PAS came with presets_v2 already. I'm using preset #57 in both channels #1 and #2. And with this preset and roughly with the keyboard settings Gary is using, I would be very surprised that you find the grand piano (and all the other sounds) 'absolutely dead'. One more thought: it is possible that after a new audition, you still prefer the grand piano sound through a high quality conventional PA like yours, if you are on the right spot. Like I said before this is a hi-fi system, made with high quality components, BUT the real inovation is in the way it reaches an audience. Dispersion is amazing and this results in top clarity.

I will come back as soon as possible.

-- José.

#133572 - 07/21/05 01:32 PM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Last night Ray Bastianelli, who is an excellent musician/performer sat down with his Tyros hooked up to my PAS system. The first thing he noticed was the crisp, clear sounds coming from the keyboard. I asked him to try his grand piano, mainly so I could compare the sound coming from the Tyros to that of the 3000's live grand piano. He played just the piano--no accompianament. The sound was excellent.

The next thing we did was to have me play his keyboard while he walked throughout the room and listened to the sounds. No matter where he walked, the volume level was the same.

He sat down on the couch while I played, and said "I really don't understand this, but I really love what I'm hearing. Especially when you consider that I am totally deaf in my right ear, which is the one facing the speakers, but there is no difference in the volume or quality of the sound regardless of the direction I'm facing. This is fantastic."

Ray later went on to explain that his wife would likely kill him if he were to buy the PAS anytime in the immediate future. Additionally, he wasn't convinced if it would do the job in a large hall. If I can swing it, I hope to set up the system at his next big job so he can hear this for himself.

Should be fun,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#133573 - 07/21/05 02:01 PM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
No matter where he walked, the volume level was the same.

He sat down on the couch while I played, and said "I really don't understand this, but I really love what I'm hearing. Especially when you consider that I am totally deaf in my right ear, which is the one facing the speakers, but there is no difference in the volume or quality of the sound regardless of the direction I'm facing. This is fantastic."

This sums up the top experience we can have when we play through this system. It's in this exact matter that the PAS exceeds all expectations.

-- José.

#133574 - 07/22/05 06:09 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

Gary, I can understand what Ray was thinking about the PAS......its like putting a slice of Lemon under your nose......& eating an Orange tricking your senses......looking at the PAS & LISTENING TO IT tricks the Eyes, BUT pleases the EARS in such a beautiful efficient way that has to be experienced like no other.

I also used an PAS EQ setting on both L/R channels of #05 which made all the difference.
But I hear the new Upgrade EQ settings are wonderfull also giving you much more options.

#133575 - 07/22/05 06:47 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Donny...
I was using preset 5 until I downloaded the v.2. Wait until you hear what 55 and 57 can do.
Eddie

#133576 - 07/22/05 07:05 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

Eddie.....I'll try it out very very soon.....thanx for the info!!

#133577 - 07/22/05 08:06 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
Hi Scott,I will gladly send you my settings (PAS and Tyros) to give you a point to start your testing

Jose, thanks, much appreciated!

Quote:
Last night Ray Bastianelli, who is an excellent musician/performer sat down with his Tyros hooked up to my PAS system.I asked him to try his grand piano, mainly so I could compare the sound coming from the Tyros to that of the 3000's live grand piano.He played just the piano--no accompianament. The sound was excellent.

Hi Gar: If it was truly the Tyros stereo sampled: "Grand Piano" voice that you say sounded excellent thru the Bose PAS, then there most definitely must have been MAJOR UPGRADE made to the PAS system since I auditioned it last. I suspect the UPGRADE was made specifically to address the classic stereo to mono phase cancellation problem. I'm now anxious to give the recently updated version of the Bose PAS another audition & yet another (I believe 4th now) chance to win me over.

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
I was using preset 5 until I downloaded the v.2. Wait until you hear what 55 and 57 can do.
Eddie

Hi Eddie & Donny: I look forward now to auditioning the Bose PAS again, with preset #05 as well as the new added EQ preset settings in OS (?) version 2: 55, & 57. Am I to assume that the PAS includes a 'software' upgradeable OS which is downloadable? If so, what is the procedure for INSTALLING the software OS upgrade into the PAS?

Any additional PAS EQ preset setting setup advice for Yamaha keyboard (specically Tyros players) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-22-2005).]

#133578 - 07/22/05 08:20 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Am I to assume that the PAS includes a 'software' upgradeable OS which is downloadable? If so, what is the procedure for INSTALLING the software OS upgrade into the PAS?]

Scott..To upgrade the PAS to the latest OS version, Im told is done thru a Digital Info Link & cable from a Disc & DVD Player to the PAS os. Gary & Eddie will have more info on this since they have alrady done this...

#133579 - 07/22/05 09:10 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Complete installation instructions come with the download. You must use a DVD player to instal the OS and new settings. It only took a few minutes to do this.

The other thing that is critical is to set up the volume levels per the instructions. You cannot just plug in and go. There are certain steps that must be followed, then once this has been established, you do not have to do this again--it's a one-time shot.

Additionally, the psuedo mono output from the keyboard will not cut it with most sampled sounds. However, if you use both outputs, plug into the two channels with presets, set the presets and volumes per instructions, you will hear a significant difference. One just the L+R=mono plugged into a single channel, the piano sounds a bit thin. Not so using two channels.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#133580 - 07/22/05 09:56 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
the psuedo mono output from the keyboard will not cut it with most sampled sounds.

Hi Gar, I understood this from the 'get go' when I initially auditioned the PAS a year and a half ago, and made sure to go out my Tyros in discrete stereo, utilizing 2 separate audio output cords, with each cord going into separate INPUT channels on the Bose PAS. Unfortunately, even with it setup this way, resulted in an unpleasant brittle dull sounding "Grand Piano" because the effects were now not heard (canceled out because of the classic stereo phase canceling phenomenom). My only guess is that perhaps Bose PAS's recent OS upgrade (of which includes new Preset EQ setting improvements) may have addressed and somehow been able to resolved(?) the prior stereo voice sampled phase cancellation problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will let you guys know my findings after I've finally had a chance to audition at my local Guitar Center, the PAS with my Tyros once again. - Scott

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online