SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#133591 - 08/03/05 03:07 PM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Scott,
Please excuse my belated response, concerning my Tyros settings with the PAS. These days I do not practice at all and I do not usually have my Tyros with me (only bring it to gigs on weekends), and additionally I have been travelling and really busy.

Ok, to the business :-)
Here are the promised settings I use with my Tyros and PAS:
Very important: try the PAS preset #57!
Then, in the Tyros:
Equalizer:
Q:2,5
Freq: 225 Hz
4/3/2/6/8
Compressor: Punch preset
You can also try Gary's settings, they should work as well. Then set the PAS equalizer according to your tastes. The real important thing is that you choose an adequate PAS preset. I doubt you will be deceived with the results... You may not be very happy with the price, but that's another story :-) Good luck, and tell us about your experiences!

-- José.

#133592 - 08/03/05 04:32 PM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
Very important: try the PAS preset #57!
-- José.

Jose,.......I assume #57 is on the new Updated EQ's? why do you like this one so much? I havnt updated yet....Im using 05 for now.

#133593 - 08/03/05 06:00 PM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
the mono argument is non existant and a non issue as far as my ears can tell & this includes LIVE, SMF, & MP3's...although I would definitly say as prescribed by Gary & Eddie you must use TWO KB SEPERATE LINE OUTS to Channels 1&2 instead of ONE L/R Mono out from the KB. . . .Scott the piano sounded fine to me...I would suggest you go thru the BOSE PAS UPDATED EQ settings until you find one that you prefere if your going to do Piano Solo work etc

Donny, as I mentioned here before, when I auditioned the PAS with my Tyros, I made certain I went out in stereo (2 separate KB LINE OUTS) to channels 1 & 2 IN's on the PAS. Even so, when playing the Yamaha 'stereo sampled' GRAND PIANO voice, it sounded horribly thin & brittle (due to efx phase cancellation) no matter which PAS preset I selected. In addition, everyone else in the room (including pro musicians) auditioning with me reached the same conclusion, assuming it was the classic effect of stereo phase cancellation.

Donny, if the Yamaha Tyros/PSR3000 stereo sampled "GRAND PIANO" really sounds as good as you claim on the PAS now, then there definitely has got to have been a major Bose PAS 'OS upgrade' instituted between the time I auditioned the unit 1-1/2 years ago (which I assume included the original OS) and yours (of which amazingly doesn't even include the latest OS upgrade preset #57 which José recommends).

José, many thanks for posting both the PAS & Tyros settings you used to achieve optimal results.

Ok guys, I'm anxious to go back and give the Bose PAS yet another audition now. Unfortunately, even if I'm impressed this time, I probably have to wait awhile b4 buying it, as $2,000.00 is a bit beyond my current equipment budget.

Scott

#133594 - 08/03/05 06:30 PM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Donny, if the Yamaha Tyros/PSR3000 stereo sampled "GRAND PIANO" really sounds as good as you claim on the PAS now, Scott

Scott, I said in the MIX the Grand Piano sounds good as does all the Styles, Smf, Mp3's and this is with my EQ's on the PAS, 3K, & Winamp player its this combo of EQ's that make it sound good to my ears....You really have to get into the EQing and juggle your settings to achieve the best sound for you. Your one of the few that has a negative PAS opinion and that is your right if I remember corectly I hated the sound of the Motion Sound 100 Amp so go figure...I could not give you a opinion yet on just the Piano alone maybe in time I can down the road wen I get more into it.....all I know the PAS sounds very very good and thats the bottom line for me at any price.

take care

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-03-2005).]

#133595 - 08/04/05 03:24 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Jose,.......I assume #57 is on the new Updated EQ's? why do you like this one so much? I havnt updated yet....Im using 05 for now.

Hi Donny. Yes, #57 corresponds to the new presets. My european version of the PAS came already with presets version 2. I didn't have to update at all. Why do I like it? Because it sounds so good! I'm not sure what this preset 'hides' exactly, but the equalization seems to me a typical 'loudness' setting. Based on Gary's and Eddie's advice (both tried presets 1 and 2), it might be a good idea to upgrade, Donny.

I now use the PAS exclusively in my gigs, and am seriously thinking in selling my other PA. My former problems in not obtaining the best results were due to inadequate gain settings. Undeniably there is a certain 'fashion factor' in the success that a PAS user has in his gigs. This thing looks beautiful, is original and raises the curiosity of the audiences. But it also has intrisic qualities. The sound is clear and the dispersion in the room - the strongest quality of this sound system - is fantastic, unlike anything that I've tried before.

Scott, you're welcome. Give it a try again, even if you don't buy it immediately. I started saving money to buy it, some time ago. Make sure that you try presets version 2. As I said before, it is possible that you think the grand piano is at most comparable to what you have with your powered EVs. And the sound fidelity of the PAS is very good but take note that there are other sound systems that have a comparable intrinsic sonic quality for much less money. However there are other unique factors that make the PAS worth the money: incredible sound dispersion, portability, elegance.

Sorry for taking so long to answer. I've been in Spain for some days, and I'm currently working with collegues in a university in the south of Portugal. But I have a gig this Saturday, 700 kms from where I am now, and it's damn hot around here: 42º Celsius (around 108 fahrenheit!). No air conditioned in my car...

-- José.

#133596 - 08/04/05 05:28 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
My local pro sound shop mentioned that the people they know who has purchased the Bose system always use a standard speaker like a SX300 for the throw... From what he said , the Bose seems to drop out after 15 ft or so. It can not make it to the back of the room?

Is there any truth to this?

#133597 - 08/04/05 06:32 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Unequivable,hogwash. This is one of the magor strongpoints.I use mine with a 20 piece band and I have to watch it and not try to compensate as before. The drop off at 15 feet is 10-15%,then even for the 150 feet I need to reach.

The beauty of it is you don't blast the people near you to reach everyone else.
Bernie

#133598 - 08/04/05 06:48 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
My local pro sound shop mentioned that the people they know who has purchased the Bose system always use a standard speaker like a SX300 for the throw... From what he said , the Bose seems to drop out after 15 ft or so. It can not make it to the back of the room?

Is there any truth to this?

TOTAL BS

#133599 - 08/04/05 06:50 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Unequivable,hogwash. This is one of the magor strongpoints.I use mine with a 20 piece band and I have to watch it and not try to compensate as before. The drop off at 15 feet is 10-15%,then even for the 150 feet I need to reach.

The beauty of it is you don't blast the people near you to reach everyone else.
Bernie

Excactly.....you cannot think like conventional speakers using the PAS its a different animail

#133600 - 08/04/05 07:24 AM Re: BOSE PAS is a WINNER!!!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
In a small, intimate room of 60 or so people, drop off is not a factor.

In larger venues, yes, there is minimal drop off at around 15 ft. But, compare this to conventional systems and you are back to the same ol' problem of too loud up front...not loud enough in the back.

Until you experiment with presets, EQs and placment of the PAS on stage, you can't appreciate what it can do for you.

Eddie

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online