Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
That makes sense, Chas...but why be so rigid...why not use an arranger keyboard as part of a musical education?

Ian

Because, from my perspective, it teaches them more about technology than music. It also teaches them the great American concept of instant gratification; ie. "gee, I can sound great without the bother of learning all those pesky scales and stuff". Problem is, who's going to be around to produce all those 'canned' sequences that we get when we push that 'one-finger chord'. Any doctor will tell you, "forget diet pills and vibrating belly belts; if you want to lose weight, learn to eat healthy and get off you fat, lazy, ass and get some exercise". Same principle applies here.

John Dileo, you've got to stop being so defensive. Funny, I don't hear any of those 'great' players that you admire so much, arguing against sound musical training. I don't think that believing a child or youthful beginner should first be grounded in the basics (which usually means formal training), makes me a purist. Unless, by purist, you mean the belief that a keyboardist should know how to play a keyboard or that those who profess to be musicians, should be proficient in music. JMO.

chas