Diki, yes, Jamie A lives in New Albany, Indiana, about 80 miles from Lexington, Kentucky, near Louisville. I first met him in 1966 when he was playing at the St. James Court art show in Louisville. That's before he started his distinguished work as a music professor at the University of Louisville and his work with outside education projects. His family was a leading group in the construction of river steamboats. I admire that, besides being financially very comfortable (I've heard), he really made a name for himself.

The 4 Tv appearances here are produced by the local Jazz Arts Society. They're on public access tv. I'll see if I can locate a copy or copies. If I get them, I'll send them to you if you'll email your address.

His company also sponsors the series. He has to be in his mid 60's. He's fit, and blows all the other local tenor guys off the map.

Thanks to you, Chas and others who recognize the uniqueness of the jazz art form. Chas, the "higher personal standard" factor is something only you and other jazz "nuts" (both performers and listeners) understand.
It's most introspective. Playing for yourself...pushing the envelope to develop variations on the lead line...tempo alterations, structure modifications and more is unique to the art form.

It is a "niche" art form fraught with highs and lows (for some, sadly). The challenge, for me, at least, has been to not let the art form completely control my life...to avoid the lows and spend my musical life enjoying the ride.

And I have.

Russ

Great thread on multiple levels.

Russ