Not everyone that buys a musical instrument (whatever the price and the model) is a musician, or would like to be one, or can become one, in the same context as not everyone that can buy a muscle car has had or will take lessons in sports driving or someone that purchases a drill is a carpenter or can make it as one.

Some of us, (me actually, hope there are others) simply want to have a good time. And for those, an arranger is a Godsend. We have something that can provide entertainment to US, and sometimes, if we play acceptably, to others also. Sometimes it can pay off a mortgage.

I don't really think I SHOULD endure formal education for 2-3 years before I can produce something that resembles a song I heard on the radio. Or endure endless years of formal (not to mention rigorous) training to become a classical pianist, only to discover that I can't play anything that is not classical, or that I can't play a chord without reading staff (happened to a friend). I can do both with my arranger, to some extent.

Of course, I don't go around and pose as a musician. But I am having a hell of a good time!

Chas is describing what things "should" be, and he is right. No musician is a musician until he has proper education.
But John DiLeo is closer to reality. Actually they are the two sides of the same coin.

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 04-15-2008).]