i dont know if this has been added in the mix but what about inspiration ? I am not a pro player but i am working on it. The one thing that an arranger does that a traditional linear instrument does not do so well is inspire a musician . When i switch on my PAX i have the worlds best musicians at my finger tips and they teach me ! I have learned new licks and runs and progressions just from listening to the intros and endings in all types of styles.

I play both in arranger/piano mode and straight piano. Sometimes all i have is drum and bass and main keys on when i play with the PAX scanning the full keys.

I agree with the initial premise that an arranger should not be used as an excuse not to learn to play but i believe that it actually can help people to play. I had 3 years formal Jazz tuition on a standard 88 key piano. I read the music from the sheet and although i have a natural ear for music i found learning jazz in this way stilted and false. When i got my arranger i started hearing stuff in the jazz styles that although i was being taught it , it did not really make sense until it was encompassed in the complete sound of a bass and drum and horns. I have learned more about playing jazz in practice through playing two handed on my arranger supplemented by formal learning.

I dont think musicians should hide behind the auto accompaniment. But when used well and skillfiully you can get some incredible results