Starkeeper, I am very surprised that you cannot find free soundfonts which are much better than a PSR2000. I find almost any soundfont out there is better - but it might be my sad ears.

As I pointed out in the past you can always start with a reasonably good soundfont wavetable and replace the instruments you do not like.

Here are some wavetables which are (in general) much better than most arranger wavetables:

GM500 (can be converted to soundfont)
Papelmedia SF2 1.22
Titanic 200
Plus many many many many many many many - and then some others.

I think what it is you like the Yamaha sound and therefore anything that does not come close is not so good. If you for example like Yamaha 4mb softsynth then you just simply like the Yamaha sound.

Whereas when I do A & B comparisons on my high quality audio system professional musicians will more often pick my enhanced sYnerGi GS wavetable over anything Yamaha has to offer (Motif, Tyros). That is not to say that Yamaha is not good enough for live performances. I use as my criteria the ability to come as close as possible to sound like real acoustic instruments.

The reason I take you up on this issue is that if you like the Yamaha sound then I strongly recommend you stay with their hardware based solutions. You will not succeed until someone makes a wavetable using as its source a Yamaha keyboard or sound module.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 03-11-2005).]