Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I have this analogy....

Put an average consumer in a bank, it's like a kid in a candy store. If you loan him as much money as he wants for candy, he'll go home with six POUNDS of the stuff, as much as he can carry

He doesn't care that it will make him sick, rot his teeth, and take forty years to pay for out of his allowance..!

But the candyman knows that... He knows it as certainly as the sun rising in the East! So it's the responsibility of the candyman to only sell him what he knows will get payed back and not make him sick and rot his teeth.

But lately, the candyman has become a little kid himself... His dad left him the store when he retired, and he has not the slightest concern about long term potential problems, as long as he can make a short term buck, he goes for it! (No wetback candymen, either, if you are looking for a minority to blame!) The short term buck is just too tempting...

So, what do we need here? Of course... ADULTS Someone to tell the candyman he CAN'T loan enough to the kid to make his teeth rot and break his piggy bank...

And THAT, my friends, is the government's job... They are, in a sense, in loco parentis. They tell the kid 'this will rot your teeth' and they tell the kid selling the candy 'Don't sell him more than he can carry'!

But when the ADULTS start acting like little kids as well, well, you can see what happens. SOMEONE has to be the grown up, and it's time we insisted our representatives do so. Every kid dreams of a world with no adult supervision... Lord of the Flies pretty much describes what happens when they achieve it.

We are living through our own Lord of the Flies right now... You can already hear the squeals for Simon's blood.

Simon the wetback...

I love this analogy, but...

The FATHER (literally speaking) of the kid in the candy store should have taught the kid NOT to buy as much as he wants, but as much as he NEEDS, just like we teach our kids NOT to accept candy from a stranger. Thern we wouldn't need the government to play adult.

And this happens more and more these days, adults behaving like kids in a candy store... Have not felt it myself yet, (don't have kids) but have cousins a mere 15 years younger who do not realise what the real world is about. They think that they can get a job at whim, that problems are solved easily.